Chapter Three

_____

_____

A green Honda civic drove smoothly into a fairly large compound, Salma that was on the driver's seat exhaled nervously when she parked her car beside a sleek black Audi. She picked up her bag and stepped out, then paused, looked back at the gate that was a great distance away from where she stood and glared coldly at the men moving around casually.

How special are these people that armed men had to guard them? She asked herself inwardly, remembering the series of security checks she had to go through before they finally let her in. Another sigh escaped her mouth before she turned to give her reflection a quick glance at the heavily tinted Audi window.

She knew better than to fix herself in front of a car window. Only God Knows who might be in it as she had embarrassed herself times without number at several clients' houses. She cringed at the thought that crossed her mind and began moving towards a wide terrace.

Her day started with a loud shriek of her alarm, then bumping her head on the headrest when she jerked up, followed by Hadiza getting on her nerves throughout that morning. With Malik's phone switched off and also adding the fact that she has to meet with Adam and his sister at their residence made her a hundred times more anxious than she always was.

If it all went successfully without her mother's interference, it would be her first independent catering service. She has already imagined herself using the money to fix her old car and starting her own business, becoming her own boss.

A wave of confidence gushed through her as she straightened her shoulders and began murmuring to herself 'You can do this Salma, you're 21 years old. You can handle anything, yes! Including talking to rich strangers'

She looked up to inhale sharply, then confidently marched toward the wooden door to place a knock on it. She did for five minutes but there was no answer.

'Hajiya, press the door bell. No one's going to hear you if you keep knocking like you've never had anything called bones' a male voice came from behind her.

She moved slightly in fright, and settled her eyes on Adam -who was sitting on a posh looking seat with a table between it and another empty seat. He didn't look up cause his eyes were glued to his phone and she couldn't take her eyes off him, not because he was dashing but because she was too stunned by his presence to move a muscle.

Five seconds later, maybe when he felt her gaze on him, she thought. He lifted his head from his phone and locked eyes with her. As memories of what happened back at her mother's office rushed to her head, she felt that confidence she'd possessed less than fifteen minutes ago decreasing with each passing second.