Chapter Sixteen

For your peace of mind, try not to understand everything.
-

Unknown

_____

"So..are we doing this again?" Salma glanced at the both of them. Sadiq began, "Ugh..maybe sometime in the future..?" His statement came out more like a question and she concluded that she was bad at matchmaking.

But would he just give up on a girl he'd been crushing on for only Allah knows how long because of her?

"Ok" she had no other choice but to agree and watch them go separate ways. She didn't even notice she had been standing and deep in her thoughts until someone whispered, "Hajiya" and she turned abruptly in fright, almost loosing hold of her purse and car key.

Oh my Allah!

She took a deep breath and exhaled then relaxed, of course it would be Adam. "Hello, Salam Alaikum" she was sarcastic.

He didn't seem bothered, he just simply maintained a smile then answered her prayer. "You blocked me" he uttered candidly and his words sent her back to a time she'd pretended had never existed. She was depressed, full of hate for him -Malik and lack of interest in her entire existence. He wouldn't understand.

She remembered how it all happened, few days after Fatuma had offered her a warm hug and a few words of advice, she recieved a text message from him and it was the last thing she had anticipated. She was also in her men-are-scum phase to even think twice before leaving his text on seen.

For whatever reason, he texted her again and it reminded her of Malik, how he was persistent and love-bombing her. Adam being related or friends or whatever with Malik made her dislike the idea of associating with him. Plus he even knew the idiot at the parking lot, forgetting that he was the knight in black Salvator ferragamor shirt that saved the night.

She blocked him. And he was staring at her waiting for an answer, "I did" she couldn't find any right words.

His eyes still lingered on her face, while she assessed the mallet he held. "You look nice" he said instead and she furrowed her eyebrows then hesitantly muttered "Thank you"

He looked down at his shoes, probably having nothing more to say, he gave a tight smile and said "It's good to see you again Hajiya, farewell" as if he was just pulled out of Shakespeare's play. She watched him leave, then blinked twice, processing what just happened.

"Wait!"

He turned around hesitantly, not sure if she was referring to him or someone else. When the two locked eyes, she immediately regret calling him back. After all she also had nothing to say to him, "It's  good to see you too, Adam" that was the first thing that crossed her mind, he waved and left.

Weird.

They both thought. She stepped into her car and drove slowly, her mind partly on her encounter with Adam, analyzing what had just happened. She groaned and tightened her grip on the steering wheel. "There's no point in overthinking it, we might never even see each other again, psh!" She laughed.

***

She parked her car where she dropped off Hadiza and fetched her phone to call her, she didn't pick so she tried calling her again. When she answered the call, she heard screams and laughter. That wasn't normal.

"Hello, Hadiza, where are you?"

She heard more screams and more laughter and girls giggling, she was getting worried.

"Hadiza, where are you?"

"Hey!"

"Where are you?" She asked again, growing more anxious. "On a roller coaster"