Chapter Nineteen

______

______

She woke up, choking on her breath. She felt paralysed on the bed so she attempted to sit up. She held her head that felt light, then looked around the room, but before her eyes adjust to the light, she was engulfed in a bone crushing hug. Hadiza sobbed on her shoulder, Salma got even more confused. All she remembered was that she was waiting for Fatuma to call, and then she woke up on her bed, in the morning.

"What happened?" Her voice was hoarse from the screaming. Hadiza couldn't answer, she kept crying and murmuring something fast amidst her sobs. She pulled out and stared at Salma whom needed explanation, she'd never seen Hadiza cry, since when she found out her friends created a groupchat without her just to gossip about her. Salma saw the screenshots of their chats, those girls did her sister dirty.

Maybe Salma was desprate for romantic affection and Hadiza, companionship.

"I'm Sorry—I promise I'll never disrespect you or do the things I used to do—Please don't leave me" she continued crying.

"I'm not going anywhere, what happened?"

Hadiza sniffed when Salma wiped away her tears, "I just came home from school, I found you screaming on the floor and Fatima was panicking, we pinned you down until Maama and Daddy came with the Imam, you..had an episode"

Salma gasped and Hadiza nodded, "Fatuma came?"

"Yes but she left after maghrib, she said she's coming today"

Salma concealed her fear and took the glass of water Hadiza had passed to her. She took only a sip when a knock was placed on their door, Maama walked into the room with Mr Cuddles by her feet. He ran and snuggled in the little space on her bed, she hadn't seen him in days.

"How are you feeling?" Her mother asked, patting her on the back. Salma managed to squeeze a smile and said, "I'm Good Alhamdulillah"

"Masha Allah, rest well then pray all the prayers you've missed. We've prepared something for you, you can come downstairs when you're done" Her mother motioned for Hadiza to give her space to shower and change.

She walked down the stairs to the living room, her eyes inspected the dishes arranged on the table. "We made your favourite!" Hadiza yelled from the kitchen and walked out with a ceramic plate in hand, her mother appeared beside her with a warm smile and stared at her face, Salma couldn't comprehend the look her mother was giving her, she was that good at hiding her thoughts.

"Come here" she heard her say before pulling her in for a warm motherly hug, she squeezed her daughter between her arms. Salma was hesitant to hug her back but she did eventually, sinking into the warmth of her mother's body.