Chapter Ten

"Don't fall for sweet words,
Fall for sweet efforts"
-unknown

_______

Truly, Adam left her alone like she had requested. That day and the next, when she and Safiyya had a talk about the theme of the surprise event, she hadn't caught a glimpse of him. The more she anticipated his appearance, the more she felt guilty for saying he was making her matters worse when he was in fact, only trying to help.

The bride loves black so the decor would all be in black with touches of silver and gold. That was at the top of her list, she shoved her jotter back in her bag and once again thanked Safiyya for choosing her mother's restaurant, promising that they would not be disappointed.

She left Kande and Sadiq early to begin shopping for the next day's event. Her car appeared perfect after that incident which also wasn't new, it no longer jerks and shutdown like it used to. She was lucky her car came to life the day Malik broke up with her, only Lord knows how she would go home.

Fatuma finished her classes early on that day, thus Salma offered to pick her up so they could go for the shopping together. When she stepped into her car by their department, Fatuma gave Salma a long stare before asking if she was alright. She was seriously wondering how she was up and running errands the day after her so called Mr Precious broke up with her.

Knowing Salma quite well, she had assume she might do a sackful of irrational things to herself or probably force herself to believe that it was all her fault that the guy dropped her heart and left by repeating it to herself, verbally. Instead, she gazed ahead whilst being deep in thought.

Salma was supposed to be healing and mending her recently broken heart, but there she was, like always, misplacing her priorities. She was thinking about what her first client must have felt when she uttered -no spat those word at his face when he was going out of his way to see if she was alright. These days, people rarely give a dang about what or how you feel or even care to give much thought to how something will affect the others before doing it, just like she did two days prior.

She let out a heavy sigh, after staring down at a packet of takeout for longer than necessary, Fatuma had been watching her all along so she said, "How are feeling right now?"

She had expected another round of how Malik broke her heart and she was more than ready to offer her only friend a listening ear but instead she heard her say after exhaling deeply for the umpteenth time that afternoon, "I feel very terrible for pushing away Adam when he was only checking up on me, and before you even ask there's nothing between us. He's just my first client and after tomorrow we might never see eachother again"

Fatuma shifted her weight to her left leg and folded her arms in her chest, her face carrying an unbelievable look that made Salma to momentarily forget Malik and her life problems. She laughed but not too loudly as they were already getting stares from other shoppers.

"Who's Adam again? Ha! I knew that Malik guy was just blocking away your good fortune. Tell me about him" Fatuma grinned like someone that has been granted a barrel of melted gold.

"I said he's my client and he used to be a total D-bag. But then..." she dragged making Fatuma more eager to hear the gist, inwardly thanking Allah for bringing someone that would distract Salma from her heartbreak and pain.

"He recently out of the blue, started being nice to me and he was always making fun of everything I do, you know that kinda thing.." she moved to the next aisle at the mall shaking her head and looking far ahead as memories of what happened back at Safiyya's house rushed back to her head.