29: Rule 8- And that humans make mistakes

Christmas break was over in a flash, and it was now back to school! Yay!

Note the sarcasm.

Alexis and I were by the lockers after lunch, talking before my phone vibrated in my pocket. I removed it and checked my messages.

Blake: hey, can I talk to you? I think I'm ready.

I showed Alexis the text and she frowned. "I don't think that's a good idea. She's been so toxic."

"No she hasn't." I waved her off.

"She ignored you for weeks."

"She was just processing her feelings, just like I was." I sighed dreamily. "Maybe she wants to talk to me about the whole thing and put this behind us."

"Cameron, sometimes I think you're delusional." Alexis muttered. "The girl ignored you for weeks, ghosted you, and now you want to go hang out with her?"

"She was just confused, okay?" I shrugged, and Alexis closed her locker.

"You're unbelievable." Alexis spat, and walked past me. What's up with her?

I texted Blake back and asked her where we should meet. After she sent me the location, I closed my locker and locked it, going to the bio classroom.

~~~~~~~~~

She closed her textbook and reached over the counter, giving me a hug. The familiar scent of honeycomb filled my nostrils as she gripped me a little tight. She let go, and smiled at me.

"It's been a while." She mused.

"Yup."

"I wanted to give you space, you know. Because I hurt you pretty bad and had the audactiy to forget about it." She began. "I wanted to apologise, Cameron. I don't think I'll ever see you that way, and I didn't want to lead you on."

"What is this? Heartbreak paper 4?" I asked her, and she looked away. "Damn, I thought paper 1 was worse."

"Cameron, be serious." Blake sighed. "I realize that I reacted the wrong way, and I should've calmly told you. Not to think you were joking around or lying to me, that was stupid of me to do."

"I know, but we all make mistakes hey?" I said, unsure of how to respond to her. "No mistake is unforgivable in God's eyes."

She paused for a bit, and then let out a nervous chuckle. "Right. So, we're all good?"

"I think so."

We did our usual handshake, and then stayed silent for a bit. She then pushed a white braid behind my ear.

"I like this color on you." She cooed. "You should keep it."

"Thanks." I murmured. "So, what have you been up-"

"What I've been up to doesn't matter, girl. What have you been up to?" Blake asked me, placing a hand on my shoulder(I love how everyone loves doing that now if they want to keep me invested in a conversation). "I've missed so much. I missed my best friend, unless, you've replaced me with Alexis?"

I paused, and then spoke. "No, Alexis and I are just friends...she isn't going to replace you. Ever."

She looked relieved. "Okay, how about Roseanne?"

"I don't know." She punched my shoulder. "I'm kidding, we're on speaking terms."

Both answers were true; Roseanne and I weren't friends nor enemies. We were just...there. However, we were on speaking terms, even after our explosive argument last year. It was toxic and stupid, but hey;

New year new us, right?

I hope so.

"Thank God, I would literally die if you two became friends again. Like, who needs a friend like her? She's so unsupportive and rude, she doesn't deserve you."

"Blake, sometimes you're not supportive either." I pointed out. "Roseanne joined the club when I asked her to, you didn't."

She began twirling a strand of blonde hair around her finger as she bit her lip. "Well, you know I'm really busy, Cam. I would've loved to, but like I get so busy with prom planning and exams, like, I just get so overwhelmed by it all. You can relate, right? You can relate to feeling overwhelmed by everything that's going on around you, right?" I nodded slowly. "Like, considering your home situation and the whole anonymous person harassing you and shit like that-"

"They actually stopped though." I smiled at her. "Seems like my speech finally got through to them, because they haven't posted on that account, and they haven't put any notes in my locker. That's good, right?"

"Cameron, that's awesome!" Blake exclaimed. "So, does that mean you're gonna leave them alone or you still want to find them?"

"I don't know, I'll think about it." I shrugged. "But really, Rose joined the club and you never did, why?"

"Like I said, I have plans and-"

"Cut the bullshit, Blake. You're supposed to be my best friend, remember? We're supposed to have each other's backs." I muttered. "You didn't have mine but Rose did."

"I asked you to join interact but you never did-"

"I'm not interested in decorating shit and planning events that don't concern me!"

"Exactly my point. I'm not interested in joining a social club. If I wanted to join a club like that, I'd just go to the youth group at church." She scoffed. "I have a lot to do, please understand that I'm human too and I have feelings and emotions."

"I know you have feelings Blake but," I looked at her closely. "You're supposed to be there for me."

"I'll be there for you, I swear." She grinned at me. "Now, if you don't mind, I need to study, so will you leave?"

"Oh." I uttered. "It's fine, Blake. Talk to you later?"

"Awesome." She opened her textbook again, and I walked out the door of the class.