not who you're looking for (karl)

Requested by thelibrarypenguin pls enjoy <33 this is a Minecraft au where Karl forgets everything :)

Karl stared at the book in his hands with a blank expression, gently rubbing his thumb along the spine, not quite sure what to do with it. He knew it was important, he could feel that it was important, he just had no idea what it was.

It matched his hoodie. He found that quite endearing for some reason.

Looking up, he scanned the area around him, gulping nervously when he didn't recognise any of it. He didn't remember how he had gotten there. Rolling hills and green landscape surrounded him, and yet he didn't have the slightest idea of where to go next. Standing up, holding the book close to his chest, he took a shaky step forward, looking around him to choose a direction to walk towards.

"KARL!" someone called out, and he jumped, hitting his back against a tree. "Karl! Oh my god, where were you? You scared me so much!"

A person ran over to his side, a smile on their face despite the fact they were yelling at him, their hand held loosely over their sword. He took a slow step back, wondering whether to just sprint away from you. However, you reached out, holding him in place with a hand on his shoulder, the smile that was on your face completely gone and replaced with a deep frown. Was a shame really, you looked better with the smile.

"Karl?" you paused, eyes falling onto the book into his hands. "...Karl. What's wrong?"

You didn't seem evil, so he shrugged his shoulders, and your hands fell off them, dropping to your side. His eyes lingered on a ring that was on your finger before he looked back into your eyes. "I don't know who you are, sorry. Maybe you've got the wrong person?"

You blinked at him, awkward laughs coming out of your mouth. "Funny joke, Karl. You're scaring me, let's go home."

"Why would I joke with a stranger?" was his answer, and he took another step back, narrowing his eyes when he saw your hand instinctively reach out. Clearly, you were mistaking him for someone else, and going mad when he wasn't who you were looking for. "Sorry."

Just as he turned to walk away, you grabbed onto the fabric of his hoodie, fist clenched. "Karl, it's me-Y/N, you know who I am, Karl, please don't do this to me, this isn't funny-"

"I'm not joking." He slapped your hand away, his heart twisting for some reason when he saw your defeated expression, tears welling up in your eyes. "I'm sorry, I really am, but I'm not who you're looking for, okay? I hope you find them soon."

You crumpled and fell to your knees, watching hopelessly as he walked away. A small voice in his head urged him to turn back and do something, but he ignored it, assuming it was just sympathy for how sad you looked. Turning his head to look at you, guilt tore through his entire body as he saw you hold onto your hand, the one with the ring, eyes clenched shut and doubled over in pain.

He really wished he was the person you were looking for. That would make everyone happier.

(A/N-i'm back :D normal upload schedule now)