↳ 2.04

eventful start

September 1st, 1993

"FRED, ANY PARTICULAR plan this year?" Angelina asked, turning her head to look at the Weasley sitting between her and Lee. He looked at her weird, then wriggled his eyebrows teasingly, "Angie, Angie, Angie... I think you got the wrong twin here. And to think you call yourself our best friend!"

"No, you don't. No, she doesn't," his counterpart quipped from across his seat, next to Alicia, "What are you talking about, Fred?"

"I'm saying she got the wrong Fred, Fred."

"Really? Are you the wrong one, or am I, Fred?"

"Are you sure that I'm Fred, then, Fred?"

"Well then, what about me, Fred? And what about you?"

"Seriously," Lee muttered, "We've been friends for four years and you think we can't tell you two apart? Stop pulling that joke!"

"Fred," Angelina repeated firmly and elbowed him, hard.

"Of course we have plans. We have lots of plans."

Alicia laughed, seeing her friends' antiques, and everyone else followed suit.

The rain thickened as the train sped farther north. The Hogwarts Express' windows were now a solid, shimmering gray, which gradually darkened until lanterns flickered into life all along the corridors and over the luggage racks.

Lee and the twins were doing an offkey rendition to Four Broom's new hit, accompanied by the girls' laughter, when a screeching sound was heard and the train started to slow down.

"Oh, we're here?" Fred wondered, "Great! I'm starving."

"We can't be there yet," Alicia said, frowning, "We should have around one hour left."

The train went slower and slower and slower... As the noise of the pistons fell away, the wind and rain sounded louder than ever against the windows.

Angelina, who was closest to the door, got up and look into the corridor. All along the carriage, heads were sticking curiously out of their compartments.

The train came to a stop with a jolt, and distant thuds and bangs told the fifth year quintet that luggage had fallen off the racks. Then, without warning, all the lamps went out and they were plunged into total darkness.

"Wh— What's going on?"

"Do you think we've broken down? Because of the weather?"

"Ow! Lee, that's my foot!"

"I'm not even standing up!" Lee exclaimed defensively.

"Sorry," Alicia tweeted in a low, abashed tone, "That was me."

"Got a flashlight?"

"Can we do Lumos here? Is this still considered as the outside world?"

"No! We can only do that in Hogwarts!"

"Technically, this is Hogwarts' Express. Ooh, it's cold."

"Freezing. Ange, light it up."