↳ 4.20

final straw

April 5th, 1996

FRED TRIED HIS best to breathe as quietly as he could

FRED TRIED HIS best to breathe as quietly as he could. He even tried to not breathe at all, afraid that the slightest puff of wind he exhaled would ruffle the thin fabric he was hiding under and one of Umbridge's Slytherin minions, currently running rampant to capture Dumbledore's Army members, would see it.

His wide eyes darted to the girl sitting beside him —Angelina, and pressed his index finger onto his lips. She nodded slightly, pressing her palms to cover her mouth.

They didn't know how long they stayed in Professor Binn's room like that. But surely, at least an hour had passed when Fred finally decided to lift the cover and peeked outside.

"Clear, I think," Fred muttered. He crawled out, still looking over his shoulders cautiously, offered his hand for Angelina and helped her up, "C'mon."

"Someone must've ratted us out," Angelina hissed. "Who could it be?"

"Dunno, but we gotta hurry back."

He could barely kept his anger and anxiety at bay. Anger towards Professor Toad and her oppression. Anxiety for his siblings and friends' safety...

He just... He just wished he could get out of here and get some fresh air.

But he had to find out about the others' wellbeing first.

"Probably Smith," Angelina continued as they tried to walk as naturally as possible towards the Fat Lady portrait. "Or not, I don't know."

"Who weren't there earlier? Did you notice?" Fred wondered out loud as he racked his memory from earlier afternoon, placing names for faces. "Smith was there, but he did act bit suspicious. Was Cho...?"

"I saw Cho."

"Right. Her friend?"

"Who? Marietta?"

"Yeah, she wasn't with us, was she?"

"Now that you mention it..."

"Bulbous fairy," Fred gave the Fat Lady a brief, courteous nod and entered the Gryffindor Common Room.

George, seeing them both, immediately stood up from his seat and sighed in relief. "There they are," he said, then again in a louder voice, "There you are!"

Lee, Alicia, Ron, Hermione, Seamus, Neville, Dean, and Ginny were huddled together, looking disheveled and shaken, but good.

"Where's Harry?"