Chapter Four | Penelope and Guests

There were far too many guests

There were far too many guests. Far, far too many guests. Penelope did not recall inviting such a large number, but then she had merely gone off the list the queen proposed. For the sake of the coup, of course.

Names, names, and more names. She had to pull so many names out of her head as nearly all of London's high society ventured in through her front doors. Leo stood at her side the entire time, with Scarlett on his arm. Colonel Ash hovered just behind them. He was out of Penelope's peripheral vision, but she could feel his presence. She could feel his steely gaze on her back.

As the stream of visitors began to lessen, Penelope found herself relaxing. At least until she arrived.

Sweeping through the front doors of Hutton Manor with her husband, Lady Caddel was a vision. Her blonde hair was swept to the side stylishly, while her gown was perfectly pressed. It was as if she hadn't even been riding in a carriage all day.

Penelope stiffened. She found herself breathing through her nose because her throat seemed to have closed up. But then a hand settled on the base of Penelope's spine, sending tingles up it, loosening her again. At the same time, Leo leaned in to mutter in her ear.

"I tried to convince Adelaide not to include her on the list." He shook his head. "I am sorry; however, remember that she is not her sister."

No, Lady Caddel was not her sister. She was not the woman who'd run off with Penelope's husband five years ago, never to return.

But she was her identical twin. And Penelope could not help but react at the sight of her.

Leo gave her arm a gentle pat as Lady Caddel approached, and it was then that Penelope realized that the hand on her back must not belong to him.

"Is something the matter, my lady?" Colonel Ash muttered behind her before his touch vanished, leaving Penelope feeling a tad chilled.

She glanced at him over her shoulder, meeting his stoic gaze. He was alert, his body tense. As tense as she'd been a moment ago.

"No," she breathed. "No, nothing is the matter."

***

Dinner was a disappointing affair. Penelope should have looked closer at the guest list that Adelaide had sent and purposefully not invited a single soul who outranked Leo and Scarlett.

But she had not. Which meant that her only true friends at this affair were sitting halfway down the table from her, and there was not a thing she could do about it unless she wished to insult Lord and Lady Barlow. Or the elderly marquess, Lord Whitlocke.

Penelope would not have minded insulting Lord and Lady Barlow, though. The duke and duchess had made a rather pointed comment regarding her lack of presence upon their arrival, and honestly, Penelope simply did not have time for cutting remarks at the dinner table. Even if the possibility remained that they were warranted.