Chapter Thirty | Beckett and the Truth

"Those are weapons, alright

"Those are weapons, alright."

Beckett frowned at the box they'd uncovered, which was filled with various weaponry that looked all too familiar.He would have thought it was taken right from his ship if he hadn't known better.

"I knew this location would be too hard to pass up," Penelope said smugly. "It is on the fringes of the property, and there is a road that runs along the woods and leads straight to the port in Southampton."

Beckett nodded. He gave Penelope credit.

"It is possible, however, that it is a coincidence," Beckett said, regretfully dimming Penelope's glow with his words. "I do not think we can pinpoint the guilt on Lawton until we have further evidence that he is involved."

When he was met with silence, he glanced to see Penelope with her arms crossed.

"He was coming from this direction," she pointed out. "And I told him of this location!"

"I understand." Beckett closed the distance between them, wrapping an arm around Penelope in a way that felt far too natural. When she leaned into him without hesitating, he felt his heart lurch. The damn thing. "And I think that circumstances definitely point in his direction, but...."

Penelope sighed, snuggling against his weight. "I suppose," she muttered.

"You are a very impressive woman, Lady Hutton," he said, unable to keep from grinning. Beckett lowered his head, resting it on top of hers for a moment before kissing her hair.

She really was impressive—for so many reasons. Beckett was unsure why he had never thought of planting ideas in Lawton's head like she had.

Well, that was not entirely true. Beckett did know why. All he had been able to think about for weeks was Penelope.

She peeked up at him. "You truly think so?"

He nodded.

A smile graced her face. "You know, Colonel, you can be quite sweet when you want to be. I am starting to wonder if you have gone soft."

"I have," he said without hesitation. He brushed her hair back from her face. "I am quite soft for you, Penelope."

The wideness of Penelope's eyes told him that she had not been expecting him to admit that. But then her gaze narrowed again, twinkling with mischief.

"Usually, you are telling or showing me how hard you are."

He chuckled. "Yes, well, that is rather hard to avoid when you always insist on undressing in front of me."

"You like it," she teased.

Beckett snorted. "Hell yes, I do."

Penelope's lips spread wide, but he could not help but notice a nervousness pass over her expression. When she started to look away, Beckett grabbed her chin.