Chapter Thirty-Two | Beckett and Lawton

Farrington was growing restless

Beckett could tell because he kept shifting on his feet and blowing dramatic sighs through his lips.

It had been at least an hour since Beckett had stalked into gardens with Griffin and Farrington. He hadn't wanted to include Farrington, but Beckett's French was unreliable, and Griffin's was no better. They'd asked him to write a counterfeit note to lead Lawton to them this evening, and Farrington delivered. And then, for some reason, stayed.

The note simply read:

Tonight. Eleven o'clock.

Nondescript enough that Lawton's own actions would implicate him.

Beckett was regretting Farrington's involvement now as the earl kicked at the rose bush like a child. The three of them waited on the edges of the garden, within viewing distance of the shed. They would be able to clearly determine Lawton's intent if he came to this corner of the property.

"So..." Farrington grimaced and raised both eyebrows with a telling glance. "This is rather awkward."

Goddamn, this man. Beckett should have told Farrington to stay with Penelope. He did not like leaving her for so long, but knowing he was drawing the enemy away from her settled his nerves.

She was a brilliant woman, and he knew how she would feel about being left out of this part of the plan. But this was his job. And if Penelope got hurt, it would not only destroy him inside but also mean he had failed at his job.

Penelope had to stay safe. He had already seen her hurt far too many times this summer, and it already made him feel as though he had lost. Failed.

Not to mention, it physically hurt to be around her. That was honestly it more than anything else. Looking at her felt like staring at a lost dream.

Beckett pushed his feelings down, not ready to face them.

"No response?" Farrington probed again. "Well...fine, then."

"It is called a stake-out." Beckett scowled at the earl. "Talking is not required."

"Oh." Farrington made an over-exaggeration of dawning understanding. "That is the meaning for all this silent tension, then? I thought perhaps it might be something else."

"Such as?" Griffin asked, and Beckett glared at him.

The last thing he needed was for Griff to egg the man on.

Leo buffed his fingernails on his jacket before inspecting them. When he looked up, Beckett knew whatever he was about to say would annoy him to no end.

"I assumed it was because you learned that Colonel Ash here has been bedding your sister," he said cheerily.

As expected.