Exam x start

If this was a dream now would be a good time to wake up…

Was this a bad thing or a dream come true?

No one knows you here. You were just a girl. No labels.

This was a chance. To find your passion. To find your strength. Pushing aside that you might die in this universe, you exited the bathroom with a fire in your eyes. 

Everything you knew before doesn't matter, all the rules have changed, and this was your chance to prove your worth.

Walking back towards where everyone should be, you sat down in the spot you were previously sleeping in. 

Before you could get comfortable you heard footsteps approach you causing Kurapika to lower his book. Damn he's hot. 

"Oi! You four come up to the front of the ship."

_______________________________________

"Alright then, go down the line and tell me all your names." The captain said.

"My name's Gon!"

"I am called Kurapika."

"The name is Leorio."

"My name's Y/n…"

"Good, now why do you kids want to become hunters?" 

"Woah! We don't have to tell you anything!" Leorio shouted.

"Well I will! I want to become a hunter because my dad's a hunter! It meant a lot to him." 

Gon's reply was the same as before but I still didn't understand why he needed to find the deadbeat. 

(#cancelging)

"Hey kid, you don't have to tell him anything!"

"Huh? But it's not a secret..?"

"Look, get with the program! It's us against him, and I'm not telling him anything!"

"I have to agree with Leorio. I do not wish to reveal my secrets at this time."

The captain's gaze fell on me as I thought of a valid reply.

"Well… I had nothing better to do. Perhaps becoming a hunter will give meaning to my life."

As I realized what I said my face went hot. How cringy. 

The captain nods barely acknowledging my answer before glaring at Kurapika and Leorio.

"So you two refuse to answer the question huh? Hey! Tell the exam committee we have two more drop outs!"

"Huh?!" Both Leorio and Kurapika looked surprised.

"You two still haven't figured it out? The hunter exam has already started." 

_______________________________________

(Ok I'm sorry I skipped this next episode because I didn't really have any new input for this chapter. Anyways this is after they get into the elevator for the hunter exam.)

"I can't wait to get that steak combo!" Gon said.

Me, Kurapika, and Leorio face palmed.

"Gon I'm sure that was just code for the hunter exam." Replied Kurapika.

Gon's face dropped a little which hurt my heart. Finally reaching the last floor the elevator suddenly stopped as we all turned to face the doors. 

When the doors opened we were faced with hundreds of people from different backgrounds, some faces friendlier than others. In the crowd I tried to identify the people I knew. Gittarackur or illumi #301, Tonpa #16, Hanzo #294, and Pokkle #53. In the crowd I couldn't spot Killua but of course I knew he was here.

Stepping into the entrance, Bean came up and handed us our tags. Leorio #403, Kurapika #404, Gon #405, and lastly me #406.

Knowing what the tags would be used for I slid mine in my bag.

Beginning to walk around we stumbled into Tonpa, seemingly by accident.

Not this douchebag.

"Oi! The names Tonpa! You all must be new here!" 

"Yeah! How did you know?" Gon replied. 

Kurapika and Leorio approached the man hesitantly. 

"This is my 34th try! I know everyone around here." 

Gon seemed amazed by this news while the rest of us looked taken aback.

Zoning out of this conversation I continued to look around for Killua, eager to meet him.

"Here toast to our new friendship!" 

Tonpa began to hand everyone drinks and seemed taken aback when I refused. This was one part that I was willing to change.

"I'm not drinking that garbage, it's poisoned." 

I said, spilling it on his shoes.

Kurapika and Leorio immediately believed me, I had no reason to lie and we had certainly spent more time together. Gon was a little more hesitant to reject his offer but decided it was for the best.

Tonpa nervously sweats trying to figure out how I had caught onto his deception. 

I glared at him.

"Run along, Tonpa the Rookie Crusher." 

Alarmed Tonpa retreated, looking for more innocent people to prey on.

Gon looked at me with amazement. 

"Wow Y/n! How did you know?" 

I smiled at his delight.

"Call it a hunch…"

We continued to stand around until the "show" began. 

There was sudden screaming as everyone turned. There stood Hisoka, the magician. We all did nothing but stand and watch as he turned some poor guy's arms to flower pedals.

"Do excuse me when bumping into someone." Hisoka stated, he then waved his arms around. "No smoke and mirrors here" he smirked as everyone quickly moved out of his way.

Almost on instinct I gravitated towards the magician, wanting a closer look. 

Kurapika stopped me by grabbing my arm, shaking his head. Right. I should be more cautious.

I thanked him for the pull back to reality. I wasn't here to drool over Hisoka, I was here to make something of myself. Yet a side of me was saying, why can't I do both?

The doors opened revealing Satotz, the examiner. 

It's about to begin.

Authors note: I know up to this point most of y/n dialog has been reactionary but there's not much to change in the beginning of the series. From this point forward I'll try to show more charcter :)