𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵

𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗶 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 - 𝗸𝗼𝗱𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲❝ to hear you knocking at my door ❞

❝ to hear you knocking at my door ❞

january 1967 and no nicolette, soda hadn't completely forgotten about her but his serotonin levels haven't been anything but better, he's never laid eyes for another girl since he still believes nicolette will come back to him.

nicolette couldn't come home on the days she was scheduled to, in fact she's been caring for more people than usual, she's had many restless nights of her own from the horrific images of dead soldiers including her brother's.

it was one day when soda was coming back from work at around 5, being praised by the elders for his service in war. darry was still at work as ponyboy was out with dally and johnny, maybe even two-bit if he was sober at the time.

soda did a little dance on the porch before opening the mailbox, most were just advertisement in business for darry but one was a handwritten letter that was for soda, he immediately recognized the cursive handwriting and address, his hands were shaky as he struggled to open the thin paper.

to my lover, sodapop curtis

hey baby, it's me, nicolette. i miss you and the gang so much, sorry for not writing to you anytime soon, it's just
been very busy lately but i promise i'll be home to you guys sometime soon, i love you  and the gang, don't you
forget that. i'll try my best to write some more but just know it'll always be for you.

love, nicolette bornsbay

soda crumpled up the paper in anger, threw it on the ground and went inside. soda stormed into his bedroom where he found a brand new pack of cigarettes, the ones he never touches unless something was hard on his mind.

he lit the cigarette out the window, letting out a few coughs from the toxic inhaling going into his lungs, he just couldn't stand anymore women leaving him without saying a word, couldn't stand anymore friends just never telling him what they knew about his girlfriend.

ponyboy accidentally walked in on the angered man only to close the door without getting the 'get the hell out' from soda. to think that soda was the only one who could hurt people emotionally, it was the other way around.

it took only an hour for soda to get a swig out of 5 cigarettes out of the pack, though he was a coughing mess. soda slammed the window shut before plopping back onto his bed like a starfish glued to it's tank.

darry didn't bother to knock on the door, he had barged in with hands on hips after hearing from ponyboy who had already picked up the pieces, darry was furious with soda for smoking in his house that he never took the time to ask what was going on.

"you explain right now, sir, what the hell do you think you're doing smoking in my house like that?!" darry raised his voice.

"none of your business, dad." soda rolled his eyes before looking the other way.

"it's my damn house so it is my business, if that's so hard then you can leave, 20 fucking years old and can't get over a girl." darry added more fuel to the fire.

"of course it's easy for you to say!" soda snapped, standing up to darry's level. "you're too busy just yelling your damn ass off that you never asked what me or ponyboy was going through, when pony went through a heartbreak with angela you just yelled at him, it's always you and your loud ass voice!"

darry flared his nostrils before slamming the door, soda sat on his bed with his fingers running through his hair. he remembered the day he tried going to nicolette's apartment only to see the place for sale, her car was also sold, he remembered the fear of her moving to a different state after war.

soda let the tears go, sobbing into his flannel as he kept recounting the days nicolette was gone; for sure it was more than 500. this was the first time in forever he felt so alone in a world, he never even felt like this after his parents died in that car wreck.

it takes the love of your life to do so much damage...