Obadiah Slope

Mrs Proudie is your aunt who you've been staying with ever since your father passed away over a year ago. Since your mother died during child birth your aunt was the only family you had. Living in Barchester was dull. Your cousins got all the attention from men and you were just sort of in the background.  You never felt like you belonged there.  Your aunt and cousins always made you feel welcomed and loved, but you'd be lying if you said you weren't lonely.

Almost a year after you loved to Barchester the arch bishop got a new Chaplin. Obadiah Slope. You were immediately smitten with him, and he seemed taken with you as well. However, he was first taken with Mrs Madeline La'Roni. She however wasn't an option being as she was married. It broke his heart, but after he realized she wasn't worth his sorrow he started paying attention to people who did matter. People like you. You and Obadiah got close much to your aunts dismay. She hated Obadiah after she heard of the scandal between him and Madelines. Scandal is a strong word considering nothing really happened. He confessed his feelings but nothing came of it. Madeline knew of your feelings for Obadiah and for someone who claimed to not have feelings for him she was jealous of the friendship you had with Obadiah.

As things between you and Obadiah got more serious Madeline got more jealous. She wanted you come out and confess to everyone your feelings for Obadiah. She thought for sure he would turn you down being that he loved her first. What she didn't know was that you and Obadiah had been seeing each other for over 2 months in secret. You both agreed it was better to keep it a secret so your aunt wouldn't find out.

However one day after it became knowledge that Obadiah could become the new Dean you, Obadiah, Madeline and a few other people you didn't really care about were conversing amongst each other. You hadn't been paying much attention to the conversation until they started making personal jabs at Obadiah for no reason. First talking about his possible position as Dean then about his proposal to Mrs Bold. Which she rejected him. Eventually Obadiah had enough ave stormed out, leaving them all laughing besides you.

"That's enough! There was no reason to do that to him!" You finally snapped.

"Oh please you only care because you fancy him." Madeline sassed, looking at everyone elses reactions.

"My feelings for him are no ones business." You raised your voice to her which brought her eyes back to you.

"He'll never love you. He loves me. He proposed to Mrs Bold just because I told him to. You finally snapped.

"Well for your information Madeline, me and Obadiah have been seeing each other for several months now. We are very much in love, he doesn't even care about you anymore. He asked to marry me and I said yes." You spat, leaving her speechless. With that you left.

You found Obadiah later in your Uncles chambers along with your aunt. You could hear their arguing from outside the door. Madeline had found and told your aunt the news before you found Obadiah.

"You persuade Mrs La'Ronie, a married women, then you went after my daughter now my niece. I will not stand for this!" You heard your aunt scold him.

"I don't have to explain myself to you madam. You won't believe anything I tell you." Obadiah replied, a little to calm for comfort.

The arguing continued until you heard them debating relieving Obadiah of his position. That's when you stepped in.

"No, no please you don't understand you can't do this to him!" You crashed through the door yelling.