42-Pathetic

"You had to have expected this." I tell Ashton with a laugh. He just grumbles something under his breath.

It was the end of the day and we were making our way to detention. He was grumpy because that meant Amelie was going home with a guy named Brett who happened to live on their block. Apparently he's a fuckboy and Amelie refuses to listen to Ashton's protests against her thing with Brett. Even the name Brett sounds like he's a fuckboy.

I told Ashton that sometimes you can't protect the people you love from everything and that's the hardest thing about love. You need to let them experience life and if he's constantly making her own choices for her than she'll never learn anything and will just grow spiteful.

He told me I should be a shrink.

He opens the door for me. He doesn't even know how nice that feels to have someone do that for me. I smile at him and he watches my every move, taking every bit of me in.

In we go.

Guess who's sitting at the table in the back of the class? And to think I was just thinking about fuckboys.

Chase.

He looks up and immediately rolls his eyes.

Does he know that if someone hits you on the back while you're rolling your eyes, your eyes will get stuck like that? Maybe I should tell him.

It seems like a health hazard to roll your eyes.

Maybe I should stop rolling my eyes? Nah.

"If it isn't the happy couple." If I didn't know better, I would think he was being nice. Unfortunately I do know better. And he's being a bitch. Not the good kind. Of course I act oblivious to the bitchiness.

"Mhm." I grin up at Ashton, who immediately softens under my gaze. I sit in the front row and pretty boy follows me like a lost puppy.

The teacher walks in and immediately shakes his head at Chase.

"Back again? After being in detention so many times you'd think you'd get the memo to sit in the front. Move next to the girl. Now."

"I have a name." I mutter, annoyed.

"What is it?" He asks, his voice actually sounding friendly.

"Livia Hart." I answer, dryly still annoyed at his comment.

"Aiden's sister?" He questions and I nod my head. "And you?" He nudges his head in Ashton's direction.

"Ashton Rivera."

"Ah. I've seen your sister here many times." Ashton tenses at this comment but says nothing.

I see the teacher check his phone quickly and then tells us he'll be right back. That's totally not suspicious at all.

"What do you even do in detention?" I wonder out loud. Chase just scoffs. He's really being bitchy today.

"I'm just putting it out into the universe that being nice to people sometimes would not kill you." I say, not even looking at Chase.

"And being honest sometimes wouldn't kill you." He doesn't even say this to me, he's simply glaring at pretty boy who is clenching his fists.

"What is the fucking tension between you two?" I mutter, annoyed.

"Oh, you really want to know?" Chase replies.

"Yes, I thought that obvious when I asked." I say, sarcastically.

"Your little boyfriend over here—"

"He's not little, if you're going to tell a story, you might as well tell it right." He should learn to not get on my bad side. I see Ashton smirking from the side of my eye.

"That's not key to the story." Chase replies, annoyed.

He seems to always be annoyed.

"No matter his size, he hasn't been telling you everything..." He trails off trying to add suspense but flopping so he just continues.

"Last year the whole team came over to Kai's place and Ashton was there because they're just such close friends. Aiden was talking to two of the guys about how worried he was about you and Ashton came over and joined the conversation. He started having a one on one conversation with Aiden and—"

"Hold on how do you know this if this was a one on one conversation.." I'm genuinely trying to follow this story.

"I was listening in." He mumbles.

"So you were eavesdropping, got it. Continue." I clarify.

"Ashton is talking all about how he also has a little sister and Aiden doesn't even correct that you're the same age as him. Aiden says that he thinks it's probably a guy and your little—or big, boyfriend here said you probably just should take a break from dating. He starts trying to find a picture of you and Aiden warns him off and says that he better not date you. Recently they had an argument in the locker room about this conversation and here he is dating you despite everything."

I can't help but burst out laughing. This was the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Is this how he's trying to get me to turn against Ashton? Because of a silly conversation that happened a year ago?

The two boys look surprised at my reaction but I just can't help it.

"That is such a pathetic way to show jealousy. Oh how your life really is at a low point right now." I state, mostly to myself and pretty boy chuckles.

I take out my laptop and spend the rest of detention working on an essay for English.
~~~~
A/N: if you couldn't tell it's been kind of hard with motivation to write this book lately but I hope you like this chapter. It's almost 1am so I probably should get to bed. Goodnight my lovelies. Pls vote and comment :)

kisses 💋
x