10 - Drawings

"Dylan," my mom's stern voice calls from the living room as soon as I step inside

I know I'm in for a big scold.

It's not that my mom takes Abby's side or mine, but if I do something she doesn't approve of, she'll let me know and I already feel guilty about how I spoke to Abby. If she heard, I know she'll let me know how unhappy she is about me letting my temper get the best of me... again.

"Yes, mom," I sigh, finding both my parents on the couch waiting for me.

Abby's not here and since Uncle Jake and my siblings are not here. I bet he took her home and when to the park with them so my parents could have a talk with me.

"What happened a few hours ago can't happen again," she starts. "I know she was not being... nice but I've raised you better than that. You cannot treat a woman like that."

"I know," I groan. "I let my temper get the best of me. I am sorry."

"Well, I know you are your father's son. That temper is damn hard to keep under control but," she pauses because of a light elbow dad gives her and I try not to laugh. "You'll have to apologize."

"I know, but damn, ever since I've gone for college has been hard."

"I know baby, but she feels abandoned. We know you wouldn't abandon her but she has a valid reason for having that fear, try and be more understanding and maybe she'll be more supportive."

My mom has a point, and she's right. The problem is I've been patient, I've been understanding and still, Abby wasn't any more supportive of my career choice because she doesn't see it as one. Period.

"How did you guys make this work? You make it seem so easy, you barely even argue," I whine, falling back onto the couch, right in between them.

"Oh, it wasn't always that easy," Mom muses. "We didn't speak for almost seven years. For years I thought it was just going to be me and you, but then your father burst into my life again, demanding answers and throwing his temper - the one that you both share - at me."

"I don't think you remember Dy, but you hated my guts when you got to know me. You closed the door on my face and everything," dad chuckles.

I remember... vaguely.

"Oh yes, I remember that," mom laughs. "He was so pissed off that you had made me cry the night before that he told you to get out of his house."

"Oh," it's all I can say.

"Yeah, well, he was right. The way I reacted to our first encounters are not moments I'm proud of," he mutters.

"What we mean is, things aren't always easy. We're here, standing strong but we've faced a lot of obstacles. We thought we wouldn't do it for a long time but fate brought us together."

Mom's words ring in my brain. Is she saying that my time with Abby will always be a fight? I don't think I am ready for that.

"You may be at different times in your life, want different things. That's okay," she says, making me frown. "If you're meant to be together, you'll find your way back to each other. Just trust the process and the feelings you have for each other."