19 - Family Breakfast

"So, how did you meet my son?" Dylan's mom asks once we're sitting down on the big counter with food enough for a soccer team laid out

"That's a good one," Dylan's uncle snorts.

"I was at the park, finishing a sculpture that someone had ordered and he fell onto me, destroying a sculpture that took me almost a week to finish. He stuttered like a fool while I told him off in the worst way possible," I blush.

"Love at first sight, I'm afraid," Jake jokes right before being hit by Dylan, who tells him to shut up.

"So you're a sculptor?" Willow, thankfully, changes the subject.

"Yes," Dylan chimes in eagerly. "We're actually in the same class."

 "What did I tell you? It's fate!" Jake jokes.

My cheeks burn and I can't help but look down at my full plate. I haven't had this kind of breakfast in years. This food is so tasty, I have been eating slowly on purpose. Otherwise, I'd be scarfing it down and it's not a pretty sight, that much I am sure of.

"You have to show us a few of your works," Willow comments kindly.

"They're not that goo-." 

"Shut up, yes they are." Dylan cuts me off. "I suck at it mom, she's been helping me out. I've improved a lot with her tips." 

"Ohhh, you want her to be your girlfriend!" Little Jeremy taunts, not without earning a smack on the back of his head. 

"Shut up brat," Dylan growls.

"Dylan, do not hit your brother," Willow scolds with a sigh.

I can't help but giggle. I've had a feeling that Dylan had an amazing family and in many thoughts, I was jealous of the fact that he was blessed with a loving family while I've been growing up in a broken one. But now, with them at the table, I can't feel that jealousy. All I can feel is the warmth and the love they share between them. It's so much and so intense that I can feel it seep into me as well, oddly comforting.

"Is he getting good at it?" Willow asks me.

"Well, the first time he tried to do a swan and it looked like a brachiosaurus," I bite the bottom lip to avoid laughing but I can't say the same from the rest of the table when laughter erupts from all around me.

"Baby," Willow pouts, " I thought you were an artist!" 

"Mom," Dylan groans. "I paint, it doesn't mean I am automatically good at everything I do. Besides, it wasn't a swan. I told the teacher it was an abstract piece." 

"Yeah right," I start laughing. " I still don't know how you got away with that one, it was freaking awful!"

"I'm smooth like that," he smirks at me, earning a double swat on his arms. One mine and the other from his mom.