Chapter 1

"I'm home." Shouted Alison as she walked inside of the home and closed the front door behind her softly. 

"In the kitchen, sweety." her mother's soft voice caressed her ears as the most amazing smell of her homemade lasagna filled Alison's nostrils.

Alison quickly took off her shoes and coat and followed the fantastic aroma of one of her favorite foods to the kitchen. She passed the small living room and with a few steps she was in front of the small kitchen.

In fact, their home was a small two-story house located in a not very good neighborhood in New York. The first floor consists of a small living room and a kitchen and two bedrooms along with a bathroom were on the second floor. It was small, but Alison and her mother had made it feel homely by decorating it well. It was a little hard to live there when her sister, Arabella was still leaving with them, but after Bella left them to continue college in London, the space was more than enough for the two of them.

Alison dropped her school bag on the sofa and walked into the kitchen. She was met with the back of her mother who was busy preparing her secret sauce. She had pulled her short dark brown hair into a ponytail and had a white apron on her green jumper and jeans.

"What's the special occasion?" said Alison playfully as she leaned on the counter.

Her mother, Evangeline, turned and huffed in annoyance. Her blue eyes glared playfully at her daughter's identical ones. She puffed a few strands of hair that had fallen on her face away and put a hand on her hips while pointing the wooden spoon with a fake accusing face toward Alison. "Now, now young girl," she pouted. "Since when I only cook your favorite food only on special occasions?" she finished emphasizing her last two words.

Alison chuckled as she walked around the small table in the middle of the kitchen and hugged her mother tight. "I'm just teasing, best mother of the world." she whispered and kissed Eva's cheeks repeatedly.

Eva giggled and kissed her daughter once but pushed her away afterward, making a disgusted face although the smile playing on her lips was giving away the fact that she was enjoying. "Ok, enough of bratty actions." she said. "Go and freshen up. The dinner is ready." 

Alison saluted. "Your wish is my command, my lady." she said in a deep voice and then went out of the kitchen with her mother's laughter filling her heart with warmth.

She went directly to her room and put on a shirt and sweatpants and went to the bathroom to wash her face and hands. After a moment she raised her head and locked eyes with the girl who was staring back at her from the mirror. Her long dark brown hair had fallen around her in natural curls and her blue eyes were sparkling. They weren't wealthy, they had so many problems but still, they managed to stay happy and supporting each other through thick and thin of life. 

Evangeline was a nurse in a hospital in the center of the city and Alison was working part-time in a pet shop not far from her school. Bella was 24, and was studying to become a doctor. She has moved to England 6 years ago after finishing high school and being accepted in a university there. They missed her but with her promise of coming back soon and having a video call almost 4 times a week, they were enduring that departure.

Suddenly as if on cue, Alison's stomach let out an angry growl and she looked away from her reflection. She practically ran down the stairs and towards the kitchen. She sat on the table and rubbed her hands together, licking her lips as her mother placed a plate with a big slice on it in front of her.

"Thanks." squealed Alison shortly before she dug into her food. Eva chuckled soundlessly at her daughter's childish enthusiasm while drinking from her glass. Her nervousness was taking away her appetite. She wanted to talk about something very important with Alison. Something that could change the life of both of them dramatically. But was her selfish decision right? Alison was a teenager and at a very tender age. Eva couldn't bear Alison gone just like Bella. She simply couldn't ...