Grief

Warning: mental breakdown, death of loved one, crying, mentioned murder

You had been happily married for a while with your partner, it was wonderful and it felt like time flew by with them. It was when the news of their sudden and untimely death by a stabbing, that time stood still. You broke down with the letter crumpled in your hand, how was this possible, it wasn't. Tears started to fall from your eyes and you collapsed onto the floor, huddling into the wall. You felt completely broken, numb.

You kept close to the wall but you heard a knock, you closed your eyes, not properly hearing the sound, too busy breaking down in the corner. Further, you did not hear the door open or see who had entered.

"(y/n)" a gentle voice asked you. In response you shivered, turning around slightly to see Severus kneeling in front of you.

"Severus" you cried, "they are dead" you stuttered through tears. Severus in response brought you into a hug, holding you to his chest. You melted into his touch, giving out heavy, deep sobs into his warm dark robes.

Severus' heart broke for you, he prepared himself for your reaction, but still, it hurt him to see you. He wished to stop your grief but he knew that soon you would be over them, looked after by him. It was easy to get rid of your weak muggle of a partner, he didn't deserve you anyway, he didn't understand you as he did.

"What am I going to do" you murmured through raked sobs.

"Words cannot describe my sympathies" he murmured "I will stay for as long as you need"

You nodded in thanks as you cried into his chest, gripping onto his warm dark robes as it half-consumed you. Time got confused, you didn't know how long you were held by Severus, crying into him, however, by the time the tears finally stopped it was dark, the moon high in the sky.

"Thank you Severus" you murmured, still being held by him.

"I wish for you to not be alone" he said quietly, looking down at your red, tear-stained face. Gently you placed your cheek against his chest, sighing loudly in sadness, your heart broken in two.

"How will I get over them?" you murmured, staring blankly at the wall.

"Time" Severus said. You sighed, slowly getting out of the warm embrace of Severus and looking out of the window at the moon. Tears threatened to come again, however, it felt like you had no more tears left.

"I should have protected him," you murmured. "I could have easily stopped a stabber"

"You should not blame yourself" Severus said, watching you as you stared outside. He hated seeking you so sad and wished that he could ease your pain. "I may have a calming potion"

"No" you snapped. You sighed, "No. I don't know what I want... " you hugged your waist slightly "I just want them back." Severus frowned, faining sadness over the passing of your meagre muggle partner.

"What did you do to help the pain when Lily died?" you asked suddenly, this made Severus frown in surprise at your outburst. How was your love for muggle as deep as his for Lily? He thought for a second.

"I looked for another for support and guidance," he said, you looked back at him, nodding slightly. "I will be here" Severus said. Your face twitched in thanks, even if you thought you did not have the strength to say the words. "and maybe you will get over the grief" he said, and come into my arms.