Chapter 40

New P.O.V

"Do you want me to cover up your freckles?" the makeup artist asked me and I shook my head.

"No, I like them the way they are," I replied kindly.

The makeup artist has already done a lot to make me look good for the Queen's Selection, it's taken a long time before she could create a perfect foundation color that would match my olive skin. Not only her but my hair stylist who had to tame my brown curly hair.

They made a lady from the rogue wolf.

It's was one of the stupid traditions that a rogue must participate in Queen's Selection since it shows that participants have a diverse backgrounds. I was one of the unfortunate wolves that were caught and forced into that circus.

At least, I'm getting paid each week I stay in the castle or chateau is how people in here call it.

"And we are done." The makeup artist smiled at me as she finished putting the final touches on me.

As soon as I left the room there was an escort to make sure I wouldn't get lost in this place and that I wouldn't be late for the opening.

I moved a bit the dark blue dress that I was given by the stylists since it was itching.

At the entrance, some guards were standing with the list.

"Your name?" The guard asked.

"Leslie Brown."

The guard nodded and let me in.

It looks like I was inside the concert hall but instead of seats there were some tables decorated with candles and tableware.

The sitting area was surrounded by the cameras and their crew. There are only a few participants that I could recognize.

I sat on the table that was on the third row but had a good view of the stage. I didn't sit on the second row because everyone would want to sit closer to the new King that has a table reserved on the first row.

Little by little, more participants started coming in.

"Excuse me, can I sit next to you?" I turned to see a short haired brunette smiling at me in a friendly manner.

"Sure." The woman sat down next to me and then she turned to me.

"I'm Stella." She held her hand.

"I'm Leslie." I hesitantly reached my hand for the handshake and Stella's smile became wider.

"Nice to meet you! I'm from the North West Wolves pack, what about you?" The awkwardness hit like a ton of bricks.

"I don't have a pack..." I awkwardly answered Stella was about to question me more about it but then she stopped once she understood what I meant.

I usually like to lurk in the human cities rather near pack territory.

"Anyway, are you here for the King's heart?" She changed the topic. I simply shrugged my shoulders because I didn't know how to answer.

I don't know how to feel about the newly chosen because as a rogue I got little information about what was happening in werewolf society.

If I suddenly become the Queen I know that it will be difficult for me to integrate into werewolf society. Since I'm a 3rd generation rogue.

Then I heard the sudden change of reaction since many of the participants began to swoon over the King that entered and walked over to his assigned seat. Behind them, two betas were walking. I didn't know their names but one of them is blonde and another one is red-haired.