Chapter 42

I was typing on my laptop while I was sitting on a soft lavender-colored sofa wearing short silky nightwear and a silky robe that helps to keep me warm. I was writing invitations for the organization's opening in Nauloria. I was also confirming the attendance of the few participants who got a high score in the last round, to a banquet for the academic community in Silver Forest pack.

It was a bonus prize for this round.

This is one of the moments that I'm free but there is still work that needs to be done.

"Your highness, would you like me to bring you breakfast?" Sally, the other assistant asked me.

"Sure, just bring something that doesn't have a pungent smell. Lately, I've been getting headaches from scents" I requested Sally and she nodded.

As I was typing I heard a knock on the door and my assistants opened it to check who was outside.

"King Damien is outside requesting to speak to you," May informed me and I sighed.

'What does he want? ' I thought. I dreaded the upcoming conversation. Furthermore, I was still in my nightwear.

"Let him come in and please leave us alone until we finish talking," I instructed my assistants and they followed my instructions without any complaints.

When Damien came in I didn't say anything and just typed the last sentences on the email.

"You won't be saying anything?" Damien asked me to react.

"It's not I was the one called you. You are the one who came to me." I pointed out and Damien sighed.

There was a moment of silence before Damien started speaking.

"I want to apologize back then I was stupid and inconsiderate." Damien awkwardly started. I looked at him expecting him to say more.

"I'm very sorry for rejecting you and never giving you the proper reason when you demanded and I found out the whole truth about the incident with drugs and I was wrong to accuse you," Damien explained.

I closed my eyes and the scene from when he was rejected felt surreal.

I was only eighteen when he rejected me. It was spring break and Damien came back from the boarding for the holidays. Once I met him I understood he was my soulmate.

Although, I didn't believe that I'm going to find a soulmate. But I was hopeful about our future.

Once Damien understood that I was his mate he asked to talk somewhere private.

Once he uttered those terrible and painful words I was devastated.

"Why?" I asked. I felt tears slowly building up.

"Tell me why? I deserve to know!" I once again asked him and he didn't answer. I begged him to tell him the reason but he didn't reveal anything and left me to assume the reason for myself.

Until I understood that soulmates didn't mean anything. It was a Moon Goddess who was playing a horrible trick on me.

I snapped back to reality and sighed.

"At least are you going to tell me the reason why you rejected me?" Damien's eyes looked at the floor.

"Otherwise I would never accept your apology," I added.

"I was afraid." Then he told me.

"Afraid?" I skeptically questioned and he nodded.

"Back then you were envied and praised by my father, but at the same time if someone did you wrong you found a way to make them repay you. After the drug incident that made me sent to boarding school made me afraid of you." Damien explained.

Fear, huh?

I have to admit that It takes a lot of guts for a man to admit that he rejected me because he was afraid of me.

"Fine, I'll accept the apology, you can go now." I dismissed it since I already heard what I wanted to hear.

"Is that all?" Damien asked.

"Did you expect more from me?" I looked at him. Don't tell me he expects me to accept him back as a soulmate.

"It's not like we can be together anymore." I was already married and promised Kai that I would let him mark me.

I would never betray a man who has always been kind to me and understanding.

"What do you mean? Isn't your marriage temporary?"

"Temporary marriage that can be made permanent," I answered.

"Do you love him? " Then Damien questioned and his voice was a little raised.

" Look, you should be more aware of how rude and entitled you sound. I never questioned about a shit show you are hosting." I snapped back and that sentence shut Damien up.

On that note, Damien left my room and my assistants came back to help me prepare for the next challenge.

This time I wore a puffy asymmetric white dress that had some floral design. We didn't do my hair since my hair looks beautiful when I let it down.

I arrived at the room where we announced our next challenge and announced who was eliminated from the round.

After the dating round and combat challenge, there were only ten participants left. Luckily I wasn't disappointed by the people's current selections. The ones who survived have the promising potential of the Queen.

Usually, the one who suggested the challenge will be the one announcing but this time producers wanted to go with my idea again.

"As you remember the etiquette for some of you it seems very hard but the next challenge will be much harder. I hope you all remember the etiquette lesson because in the challenge you will need it." I started off and then I continued to explain the challenge.

"It's very important for the Queen to be a fast learner because that will help her to adapt in any situation." Then the person handed each letter to the participant.

"Next week, you will meet various guests and inside the letter, it's a clue about which language your guest speaks. In seven days you will need to learn a language that is indicated in your letter at a minimum conversation level."

Then ladies opened the letter some faces were relaxed some and some faces were paled. The language was chosen based on each participant's profile. I made sure that the language that was chosen for the participant wasn't the language that she can speak nor is it related to a similar language family.

The challenges became harder.

After I announced the challenge I left in the hallway but my half-brother Aaron stopped me.

"Evelyn, I need one favor?" Usually, Aaron would never ask me for favors but since in the past I kinda treated him badly I owe him one.

"One of the participants is my soulmate." Aaron started explaining and I looked at him.

"Which one?" I asked then the woman came from behind Aaron.

"I am, your highness." She was Stella Garcia as far as I remember she had scored very well in previous challenges.

"Ah, so you are asking for peaceful disqualification? " They both nodded.

"Well, that can be easily done. Congratulations to both of you." I smiled at them. At least I'm happy that my half-brother is a sensible man and accepted a person who is his soulmate.

I could only send them blessings.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted the chapter more earlier than usual I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! ^-^