55: never alone

"Rafe?" 

We both turned our heads seeing the youngest Cameron sibling walk through the doors to the balcony where Rafe and I were currently sitting, me of course comfortably on his lap. 

After yesterday there was barely a moment where we weren't touching. 

She had a calming smile rested on her face and looked more than happy to see us. She was a light amongst the darkness.

"Hey Wheez" I smiled widely as the girl walked towards us looking around at the view surrounding the water.

"I missed you, Willa, you aren't around anymore," Wheezie said sadly looking towards the ground "either is Sarah" she added as a frown overtook her face. I had to turn away from her body as immediately guilt ran through me.

I'd be the first to admit I forgot about Wheezie, Sarah considered me her best friend and secretly I think Wheezie felt the same way. There were times I practically lived at her house and Wheez would call us the 'big three'. I assumed Sarah would be around more to keep her sister company but I guessed wrong. 

Going against what I actually wanted to do I crawled out of Rafe's comfortable lap and rushed towards her taking her petite body in my arms. The poor girl needed a hug. "I'm so sorry Wheez it's completely my fault" I sighed hugging her closely. "I've missed you too for the record".

Stepping away from her embrace I turned my head and Rafe was already signaling for me to come back to him. I smiled looking down at the ground and moved to his chair and crawled back onto his lap. He snaked his arms around my waist and I pressed my back into his chest not being able to wipe the smile from my face. 

"Did you want some, or...." Rafe trailed off looking at his sister and then back down at the table that had alcohol bottles scattered around and a bong. We had a mini party with ourselves last night and smoked this morning, I was just thankful he wasn't cocaine. And I was about 75% sure he was only joking. 

"Did you just legitimately offer her drugs?" I scoffed.

"I'm 13" Wheezie deadpanned. 

I slapped his shoulder for his ridiculous offer but found amusement in Rafe's confused face. 

"Uh..." Rafe scratched at the back of his neck unsure how to respond before hooking his hands back around my waist and leaning his chin on my shoulder. 

"This is a sweet crib" Wheezie swiftly changed the conversation, "How'd you con the Glisson's into letting you crash here?"

I heard Rafe sigh, "I, uh..." he trailed off "I didn't tell them is how. They're in Sun Valley all summer, so keep a lid on it please"

Wheezie nodded her head moving over from the balcony to sit on one of the free armchairs. "As long as you let me stay here whenever I want" 

"Deal" I smiled in her direction. 

"Dad trying to kick you out too?" Rafe chuckled from behind me.

"Worse. I am officially the least favorite daughter" Wheezie sighed looking down at her lap with a little frown on her face, clearly the situation was affecting her more than she was leading on. 

Rafe stayed quiet and I suspected he felt bad for his little sister knowing how it feels to want their father's attention but never receive it, never feel like their good enough.

I grabbed Rafe's hand from around my waist and played with his fingers reminding him he isn't alone and will never be alone again. 

"Sarah and Dad are going to the Bahamas, and did they invite me, Nope" My eyebrows furrowed at her comment and I slightly turned my head up to look at Rafe who shared my same confused look.