Chapter 39: An Evening of Engagements

Esther's eyes dripped with confusion as she very hesitantly let the unnamed man kiss the back of her palm.

"My apo-"

"My apologies, milady, for keeping ya waiting. New town, new people, got me excited and confused, ya know." He spoke again in his very uncomfortable accent however Esther's attention was pulled by his face more than his words. Her eyes went wide with visible bewilderment. It was him, the man from the market. The man with ink.

"You-" She began without trying even slightly to hide her annoyance.

"Please say no more! I totally understand your displeasure with me, Miss" he paused for a moment and his eyes squinted as if contemplating his next words, "Sherborne." to Esther's bewilderment, he completed. "I shan't make a Lady wait, especially when she is fine as you. Ya look exceptionally beautiful this evening, must add while I can."

Esther was short of words as her head was busy trying to understand the happenings. An unacquainted man was talking to her as if they'd known each other forever, he was in fact complimenting her. She didn't know if to thank him first or to ask him for his identity.

Edward cleared his throat behind her pulling both pairs of eyes to himself.

"Ah, the great Duke of Dales. What a pleasure to have your acquaintance!" The man announced as he noticed him there and extended a hand towards him in a very open American manner. "Introducing myself, Cole Jordan."

Edward stared at his hand with raised eyebrows for a while, his gaze averted to Esther but she knew better than to meet his stares. The men soon shared a firm handshake.

"Nice to meet you, Lord Jordan!" Edward spoke with a formulated smile.

"Ah, no, I am no Lord. Just Jordan please, or Cole." Mr Jordan chuckled letting go of his hand and turning back around to face Esther again. "Miss Sherborne, now before I forget, let me relieve my debt with-"

"Mr Jordan, do you mind? We were in the middle of a very important conversation." Edward cut him off, his request sounded more like a command.

"Wha- no!" Esther blurted out almost instantly. "I do not recall being in the middle of any conversation. In fact, I must conclude this- um... very urgent matter, with Mr Joseph."

"Jordan." The man corrected humbly with a mischievous grin twitching the corners of his lips. His skin was quite elastic for someone from London or even England, Esther noticed. He was clearly a wanderer of warmer lands.

"Indeed, that's what I said."

Edward's forehead was a mess of frowns and his eyes read suspicion however he couldn't say something sensible in time to stop the couple from walking away.

Esther took hasty steps and only stopped once she was on the other side of the grand ivory fountain. Mr Jordan was walking just a step behind her and once they stopped he stood exactly in Edward's line of vision leaving him no space to see any of Esther. He was almost as tall as him, hence Edward's exceptional height still did him no good.

They stood against each other however their eyes were bouncing all over the place. The scene was quite awkward.

Esther was so certain he was the man from the market. The features were all same and so were the eyes. However, she couldn't let go of the stark difference between the two accents. The man from the market had an over-formulated British accent while this man spoke so scousy, it was almost undigestable.

"Should you prefer me standing here or you'd rather have me gone?" He asked pulling her out of her trance however now with a completely new voice. His funny irritable accent was gone and he sounded absolutely normal to her surprise. In fact, he sounded beautiful and quite ...inviting.