Chapter 52: The Best Season of Miss Sherborne's Life

Esther had not meant to kiss him when she turned her head around, landing her face so close to his. God, she had not meant to do any of that.

She was still like a stone sculpture the moment he had walked behind her to put the chain around her neck, her confident facade already in shackles. She was not moving, apart from her chest that won't stop heaving laboured breaths, she just couldn't move. Not even a finger.

For the strong and bold woman she was, she would've never reacted to a man's touch the way she did but the moment his fingers brushed against her skin, it was hell. Her back arched and her head swung around and that was absolutely it.

That was the last sensible detail she could gather because post that it was all dreamy and disastrous.

Her eyes caught his and all she could see was the fire of hers being reflected in his and when his lips parted in longing, she found herself plunging to him like a hungry, starving animal.

But she was not the only one, she couldn't be. She saw it, even though it was the fastest moment of her life, she experienced every last detail like it was all happening slow. Like how the snow falls near a candle-lit window. Gentle and beautiful. He had reached down to her lips with just the same desire, the same need, perhaps much deeper.

It was a feeling like no other, she had never known or felt any such thing towards another object in her existence. She wanted to never part. His lips covered hers like a mould in no time and the contact caused her heart to burn.

There was no space between them anymore, the cool breeze of the night had as if died and been taken over by a summer storm coming straight from hell. His hands that had been some inches above her shoulders mere moments ago, trying their best to not touch her, were now measuring her arms with fervour and devotion, taking in each millimetre of her body. The heavy silk drape that covered some of her shoulders and upper arms was now on the ground and being stepped upon mercilessly.

His hand, urgent and impatient yet careful, landed on the arch of her lower back pulling her closer to him, her bust kneading against his iron ribs causing her a pain she just couldn't have enough of.

She felt the cold metal of the ring slide down to the floor with its chain after holding on to her damp skin for a while and Edward's hands landed one on her waist and one behind her head, guiding her to take a few backward steps until her little back was stamped against the wooden door of the chapel.

That was when she realised it. They were in a chapel, a holy place and the last one where they should be doing whatever they were doing but she also didn't want to be the one asking for it to stop. Hell, she didn't want it to stop!

Her lack of mind and involvement was soon noticed by Edward and he stopped. His tongue stopped exploring hers and he raised his head only slightly to look into her eyes.

The lack of contact made Esther realise what she had done.

A wave of guilt and need, washed over her as she read his distant eyes full of uncertainty and regret and like an animalistic reflex she tipped on her toes to reach him again but he dodged. And it hurt.

"Esther, we don't have to-" he managed in a deep voice that felt like stabs on Esther's vulnerable heart.

"No, no Edward, it is not- I am not-" she tried to explain but words seemed difficult to make sense of and her body was already tipping her on her toes again. There was a feeling of discontent in her, so strong that she could feel her heart shrink as if it were being pressed from all sides, her skin felt as if leaving her flesh and her veins dried of blood.

She kissed him again to express her agreement. She wanted it, more than anything. But did he?

Esther came back to her feet and looked at him. The room was not as dark as earlier, the high windows were allowing the early morning's light in the chapel and the sun seemed to be ready to rise any moment now. However, Edward was silent, eyes closed very gently. There wasn't much for Esther to study on him.