E

Maki hadn't spoken to you since the kiss.

You'd departed awkwardly despite the fact that you'd both accepted it fairly quickly. And it had been about a week since then.

"Stop moping." Kirara flicked your forehead as they spoke. "She'll talk to you one day."

"Will that day be the day I'm on my deathbed?"

As Kirara chuckled, the door was slammed open. The two of you turned your heads to see Hakari, putting his foot down after he'd swung the door open with it. Tilting his head out the door, he said, "Come on. We have a mission."

Kirara stood up immediately. You huffed, falling back on your bed again.

"What are you doing dumbass? Did you not hear me?" Hakari asked.

You lifted your head up, looking at him with wide eyes. "Huh? Me too?"

"Yeah, duh. Come on."

Hakari walked ahead, shoving his hands in his pockets as he left your room. Kirara grinned at you. "Come on then."

You jumped up, rushing out your door to catch up with Hakari. "Wait, you're not kidding right? Gojou said I could?"

Hakari shook his head. "Of course not, you really think sensei would let you go on the same missions as I do?"

You stopped, shoulders slumping. "So you are joking. I can't go."

"Come on L/N!" Hakari exclaimed. "Rebel a bit! You're a first grade sorcerer! You deserve to fight first grades. When was the last time you had a real challenge? You're a second year, yet you're so bored that you're going chasing around little first years."

You opened your mouth to argue but Kirara read your mind and beat you to it.

"You can't argue against that."

"Oh shut up," you grumbled, but you thought about what Hakari said.

He was right.

You deserved to fight something that was at your level. Or even beyond it.

"I'm in."

Kirara slapped your butt from behind you, making you yelp and making Hakari bark loudly. "Would've dragged you with us if you weren't."

Consuming curses is hard, you thought, clawing at your throat.

It tastes disgusting, you thought, as you did your best to keep down that wave of nausea that hit.

You were used to swallowing low leveled curses.

But this was your first second grade.

"You alright?" Kirara asked, patting your back lightly.

"Mhm," you nodded, wiping your mouth. "It's not that bad. But if I keep sneaking out with you guys, I may be able to go up a grade."

"We'll be careful with that," Kirara warned. "Gojou will probably be able to tell that you're cursed energy is shifting. Try and cover this up with some more third grades, yeah?"

"Yeah," you grimaced.

You were laying around in your dorm, worn out from the day before. To cover up the trail of that one second grade you consumed, you had to consume five third grades. Better to be safe that sorry, Hakari had said, especially while around Gojou.

A knock on the door made you jump. You'd been weary of Gojou coming near since you'd gotten back. He had called you twice while you were out, probably for an assignment, but you'd kept your phone on silent.

But it was obvious that it wasn't him. A non sorcerer could be able to sense Gojou's cursed energy from a mile away. The person who'd knocked had absolutely no cursed energy.

Your eyes widened and you dashed to the door.

"Hi," you grinned, at the sight of Maki, arms crossed, looking like she didn't want to be here. "What's up?"

"Gojou Sensei said to bring you over to class," Maki huffed. "Tell me why, I have to be your escort? What are you, a child?"

You stammered for a short moment before shaking your head. "I'm not feeling great today, decided not to go."

"You seem just fine," Maki said, tapping her foot impatiently.

"No, sensei would notice, there's a shift in my cursed energy," you explained.

Maki stared at you for a moment. "I don't notice it."

"Well yeah, that's what Kirara told me, but Hakari told me he did, so if Hakari did, Gojou definitely will."

"Well another thing he'll definitely do, if you don't go to class, is come and drag your ass out of your room," Maki argued. You sighed. She was right. "So come with Inumaki and I on a mission. Nanami said it was alright to bring you along."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really," Maki grinned. "Now get ready and come on."

You moved to close the door. "Sure, give me a seco"-

"Oh wait." You paused, opening the door slightly. Maki looked away the moment she made eye contact with you. A small blush was colouring her face. "I- um... was wondering if you want to go out again sometimes. Last time was fun, so you know... I wanted to go somewhere again. With you."

You smiled. "Of course. I'd love to go somewhere too. With you."