L

"Yuta and I are training today," Maki said, munching on the chips you'd bought her from the vending machine. "So I can't go out today. Or even the rest of the week."

"You're having fun training with him," you pointed out. "You know, I'm pretty free. And I got this new second grade curse I want to test out."

"I'll have to see," Maki sighed, setting her food aside. "Yuta is just the best person for me to train with right now, because we're both cursed tool users." Maki looked up at the frown on your lips. "You get that right?"

You looked up at her, agreeing quietly. After a moment of silence, you got up. "Look, I'm going to head over to Kirara, they could help me out with my training. So, um, yeah, I'm going to go now, yeah?"

Maki bit the inside of her cheek, forcing a small smile. "Yeah. Have fun."

"You too!"

Maki couldn't sleep. She felt bad for not having time to spend with you, and she felt more bad that you were clearly disappointed. She thought back to that McDonalds experience, rubbing her thighs together under her blanket. Her heartbeat picked up at the thought of that. That's what spending time with you consisted of, and even though she hated the feeling before, she was starting to yearn for it.

She sighed, rolling over in her bed, when she heard a knock on her door. Immediately she got up, throwing her blanket out of the way and before she grabbed her glasses to check if it was a threat, you called out.

"It's me."

Forgetting about the glasses, she hurried to the door, unlocking and opening it in a hurry. Letting out a held in breath, Maki smiled. "Hi."

You grinned. "Hey." You looked down at her pyjamas; shorts and a shirt. "You good for going out on a walk right now? I can't sleep."

"Yeah," Maki agreed. "Me neither."

Your grin widened as Maki stepped out closing her door shut. "You know they say when you can't sleep it means someone is thinking about you."

"Yeah, I'm sure Yuta's having nightmares," Maki scoffed.

You rolled your eyes, bringing your arm up to drape it over her shoulders. "Let's not talk about stupid boys, Maki." Maki hummed, following your lead to wherever you were trying to go. "This is an us night."

"An 'us' night?" Maki repeated. "What's that?"

"Obviously, we are alone, and we only talk about each other. And we can ask each other questions that we are curious about."

"Yeah? Anything?" Maki asked, raising a brow. You were trying something.

"Of course." You brought your arm back to your side and walked in front of her, making her stop.

"But before we start, I need to ask the most important question of all."

You reached out to hold her hand. She let you do that. You took it as a good sign.

"What is it?" Maki asked, growing increasingly suspicious.

"Do you like me?"

"Huh?" No question about her family? Or why she was so standoffish? That was the question?

"Do I- do I what?"

"Do you like me?" You repeated, moving closer to her face. She took a step back, feeling as if her body heat was radiating so much that you would feel it.

"I-I- I don't know, why would you ask me that?!"

You frowned, tilting your head. "Oh? So you don't?"

As you moved to let go of her hand, Maki used both of her hands to grip onto yours. "No! I mean, yes! I do like you! But I don't... I don't know? You confuse me."

"I confuse you?" You repeated, suppressing a smile, trying to feign innocence; something Maki was clearly attracted to, the way her cheeks began to turn red, and the way her hands were beginning to sweat.

"You... yeah. You make me confused. About my feelings. About you, and just in general. I can't sleep because I'm thinking about you."

"Ah... that's why I can't sleep either."

Maki used one hand to slap your shoulder lightly. You giggled (gIGGLED!! AGAIN!!) and cupped her face with a hand, feeling her hot face. "I think about you too. Not just at night. All the time."

"But... Y/N, I don't know," Maki hesitated. "If... well, if I'm ready... to let this go anywhere."

"Oh..." you seemed a bit disappointed but you quickly smiled reassuringly. "I understand. But um, you still like me, right?" Maki nodded. "Then if you ever feel ready... just know that I'll be waiting yeah? I mean this kind of ruins my plans of being the one to ask you out, but if you asked me out I'd be fine. I mean I might melt"-

Maki pulled away, rolling her eyes. "You can't be serious for two seconds!"

"That's why you must like me so much!"