Chapter 5 Musical Nostalgia

After having a satisfying breakfast, Selene asked Anna for directions to the music room.

"Turn left and then go straight till the end of the corridor." Anna said.

Selene reached the music room in no time and stood in front of a door made of oak.She grabbed the handle of the door and pushed the door open.She was immediately greeted by a cloud of dust covering her whole face. After coughing and sneezing many times she opened her eyes to see the view.

 The curtains were completely drawn, so the room was shrouded in darkness.She went and drew the curtains open and saw a vast room in front of her, with different types of musical instruments such as violin, flute, cello, clarinet, harp etc. In the middle of the room stood a grand piano. Selene who had quite extensive knowledge about musical instruments due to her special training, could tell at one glance that it was a good one.

Due to not being in use for a long time, dust had accumulated on it and small spiderwebs could also be seen on it. Selene looked around and saw a piece of dust cloth lying on the windowsill.She grabbed it and cleaned the grand piano carefully. Then she sat on the stool that was in front of it and opened the book lying on the keyboard. In it dozens of music compositions were written in a neat handwriting.She particularly liked the composition written on the last three pages and memorized it quickly. Her photographic memory came quite handy at such instants.

After pressing the keys and confirming that the piano was still in shape, Selene put both her hands on the keyboard and started to play the melody written on the last three pages. After playing it for three times, she could perfectly play the melody without seeing the notes at all and started to add some of her own notes to the melody. Little did Selene know, who was immersed in the pleasure of music that someone was watching her play outside the room.

Alpheus De Clypeus looked the girl playing piano gracefully, emotions surging inside him. He had come to check upon his daughter who was now living in the west wing secretly, that's when he had heard the sound of piano playing in the music room which was out of use since his wife's disappearance.He immediately went running over there but the scene that welcomed him was different from what he had hoped yet surprising. His daughter who had never learnt to played piano in her whole life was sitting there in all her glory and was playing it with his wife's notebook of musical composition propped up in front of her. But the most surprising thing was the way she played the piano so skillfully. As if the one sitting in her place was not her but his wife herself.

Even though Selene had inherited her eye colour and her hair from him, her face bore a striking resemblance with her mother Clara. Due to this he felt like he had returned to his wedding anniversary day when Clara had played a beautiful piece which she had composed just for that magical moment. Seeing his daughter playing the same piece, his heart tightened.He realized he knew nothing about what Selene had done during the last three years. The pain and guilt of his wife's disappearance had completely overshadowed his daughter's position in his heart.

All the these years he just tried to forget his wife and all the things related to her by burying himself in his work.Because his daughter was a carbon copy of her mother, he always ignored her in order to avoid the remembering how he had failed to protect his love.Despite his daughter sticking to him all the time and trying to utilize every chance to bring their father-daughter relationship to life again, he had neglected her for so long and had taken her efforts for granted,causing her to finally get estranged from him. He remembered how indifferent Selene was when he asked her to move to the west wing as if moving away from him didn't affect her at all.

He looked at her with determination filled eyes, this time he will be the one who will strive to win back his daughter's affection.With these thoughts he quietly left from there.