HIGHWAY TO HELL

The world was slowly waking up. The sun was peeking from the horizon ands made the sky blush orange. The birds were up and about and their chirps and flaps of wings were barely audible through the rushing wind in my ears.

By 6 am we had crossed the main highway and reached the short muddy country roads which we hoped would be cop free. The chilly air of early morning had forced me to trade my silky duppatta with my captain america hoodie.

I was exhausted sitting uptight for almost 2 hours straight and as if sensing my discomfort Adhi suggested we take a break and get something to eat. And i said yes, my stomach had started doing the tom and jerry intro about an hour ago.

A lot of small tea stalls and snack carts had opened up on the side of the road. These type of shops stay open since 3 am for the travellers to grab a bite. And apparently they dont give a shit about corona. We stopped at a tea cart and had a cup of tea each. I also had an egg baji. When adhi offered to pay for my food i stopped him and offered my share and walked towards the bike.

I heard the tea shop guy and adhi chatting

"Looks like the missus is upset with you son," the man said.

"yes Uncle, she is quite upset. I messed up this time Badly." adhi sighed.

The old man laughed and said "Son, ive been married for 45 years, there hasnt been a single day where me and my wife hasnt fought. And there hasnt been a day where we havent solved it either. Women are very simple son. All they need is you to be sincere with them and apologise when you are wrong, and also when they are wrong."

Adhi chuckled. It brought a smile to my face as well.

"No matter what the issue is, talk to her, be honest with her. And she will forgive you. Mine does" the man winked

I couldnt see adhi's reaction but i assume he mustve flashed his 100 watt smile at him.I called out to him " You coming or what?"

Adhi turned towards me and as expected he had that damned smile on his face. He walked towards me and my heart picked up. He passed me and took the helmet from the handle bar and put in on his head. The house was only 15 minutes from here so i opted for no helmet and got on.

I put on the hoodie cap and pulled the straps so that it covered my ears properly. A chuckle rose from ahead of me and found those brown eyes peeking at me through the rear view mirror.

"What??" i barked.

"You look cute" he said through his smilimg lips.

Heat reached my cheeks. I was sure i must be blushing scarlet by now. but even if he saw it i could easily blame it on the cold. He turned around and twisted the key in ingnition. The bike roared to life and my hands automatically went to his torso. He looked over through his shoulder and grinned. And we were on the road again.

We were almost ten blocks away from the house and i was positive i was going to puke. My whole body was sweating even though it was cold and misty outside. My stomach curned again and bile rose in my throat. I tapped on Adhi's shoulder and he looked through the mirror, he mustve seen my sick look, he immediately stopped the bike.

I jumped down the bike, went to the corner of road and vomited. Adhi immdiately came to my side and patted my back.

"What happened?" he frowned

"What does it look like?" i snapped. The sick sensation rising again in my stomach.

"For the love of god, maya. Just stop arguing for once and tell me whats wrong" he shouted. An odd expression laced his features. Worry.