SHAADI MUBARAK

MAYA'S POV

The wait was finally over, The day has come. Tara, my sister, was getting married. the whole house was buzzing with excitement. Unlike all the other functions, it was not just family invited today, the close neighbours too were present. I was wearing a white silk saree with golden foiled embroidery and a pink blouse. We had received amumma's ultimatum that all girls will wear saree and gold ornaments. My poor ears and neck were hoisting gigantic jumkas and necklaces. My hair was simply let down. All bridesmaids followed the same pattern.

Tara was... She looked heavenly. Her dark blue saree and gold ornaments, with her fancy hairdo and the jasmine flowers, makes her look like a bride. Oh my god Tara is a bride. I cant believe it. It only feels like yesterday that she was running upto me to say that she had her first period, or that she had a crush on a classmate. Time flew past so fast. My eyes began to burn at the memory but no... I cant cry now. The makeup, I cant ruin it.

Tara was pacing up and down in the corridor, her knuckles working overtime as she cracked them every five minutes. She was nervous I got it. But she turned into whole bridezilla attack mode. Every time someone asks anything she would just burst out shouting or crying. So we were kind of walking on eggshells around her. I got her, I really did. Her whole life was about to change. Last name, family, house everything new. If Im in her position I would have rocking in a chair somewhere.

Vivek came towards us wearing an coral silk shirt and Dhoti. Every guy in our side was wearing that outfit. He sprinted towards us and immediately slid to a stop when he saw Tara pacing. He came over and whispered in my ears "Its time"

"Why are you telling me this?" I whirled on him.

"Im not gonna tell her. She's gonna eat me alive" He whispers.

"And do you think im gonna tell her? No way!"

"No you do it"

"No you-"

"SHUT UP!! " Tara yelled "Come lets go"

We followed her like ducklings following their mama. When we reached the end of the pathway we could Arjun and his family gathered around the makeshift temple. It was a small platform where we placed the large idol of lord Ganesh and lighted few diyas around him. We had no choice. There was a talk that now that the lockdown is gonna lift we could postpone the wedding and do it properly. But the people most stubborn about this small wedding was the bride and groom themselves. They were so obsessed with the simplicity of the rituals that they didnt want the whole Hungama filled wedding ceremony.

Tara sharply turned towards us her eyes brimmed with tears "Im scared"

"Aww baby" I immediately went and hugged her. Dhriti ran towards her with tissues so as the tears wont fall down and wiped it immediately. But it was vivek who said "Its okay to be nervous. but think about this you are going to be with the man you love, and who is approved by your whole family. And in a few months Maya will be there with you too"

"A few months, at least two years. We're not gonna-" I ramble as vivek shushed me with his eyes.

"So dont be nervous. Now chin up and sweep Arjun off his feet" Vivek kiss her forehead as Tara walk over to Jeevan uncle.

"When did you become so wise?" I ask vivek

"After last night's party. Its the hangover wisdom, it'll pass in a few hours" he winked.

We walk over to the temple, Tara holding on to Jeevan uncle's hands and he try to hold back his tears. Arjun's face filled with awe and love as he gaped. Then I saw Adhi and Arjun's father waiting by his side with his wife and Arya and on the left was adhi and arjun's mom and jeeth's dad and along with him was jeeth holding the camera like a gun ready to shoot anytime anyone moves. That's right they're all a big family. I haven't seen or talked to adhi's mom after that day jeeth came back. But now as she looks at me I pass a small smile. Afterall she's my future mother in law.