Chapter 2

"Hey Light, is something wrong?" you asked the boy.

You sat at your desk in school as you chatted in between classes with Light, who was seated in front of you.

"Oh it's nothing, I've just been a bit busy lately," he replied.

'A bit busy? Yeah right. It's been five days since the first criminal death by heart attack. I know he's been crazy busy, killing whenever he gets the chance...' you thought to yourself.

You were legitimately worried about your friend, but you didn't know how to confront him about it. You were scared you would screw up and ruin everything.

'I've got to tread carefully.'

"Hmm, I know! I'm planning on making doughnuts today! Would it be alright if I go over to your house and share some later?" you asked hopefully.

"Thanks, that would be nice," said Light giving you a weak smile.

'Gah, how unconvincing!' you thought.

"Hey Light, seriously, just...take care of yourself, okay? You really look like you haven't been sleeping well."

"Hm...I guess I can't hide anything from you, can I? You're the only one who's noticed," he said, this time with a genuine smile.

"Well, I guess I am indeed a great detective," you said with a prideful grin, causing Light to laugh.

"Hooray, I did it! The great (F/N) has succeeded! You've been so listless these past few days..." you said. "Anyway, are you going to tell me what's been bothering you?"

"I..." Light quickly averted his eyes at your question.

At that moment, Light had considered telling you about the Death Note, just for an instant, but he came to his senses quickly. He knew he could never tell you. He didn't want to risk having to kill you if you proved to be a hindrance in the future.

"I've just been having some nightmares lately," he finished.

'Well he may be withholding the truth, but at least he's not lying to me,' you thought feeling somewhat relieved.

"Hm, well I guess it's just as I thought! I read that nightmares are commonly caused by stress, so my delicious doughnuts will definitely be of some help," you grinned.

Light laughed at this, and stroked your head.

After school, you hurried home and began making the doughnuts. When you finished, it was just about dinner time. You headed over to Light's house holding the container of doughnuts, and rang the doorbell.

The door soon opened, revealing Light's mother.

"Hello Mrs. Yagami!" you said to her.

"Oh why hello there, (F/N)," she smiled. "Come in!' she gestured for you to come inside.

"I promised Light earlier today that I'd make him some doughnuts!" you said, cheerily holding out the container with the pastries for her to see.

"Oh my, that's very nice of you dear. Have you had dinner yet?" she asked.

"No, not yet," you replied.

"Well then, come eat with us," she said as the two of you walked towards the dining room.

In the dining room were Light and Sayu, Light's younger sister.

"(F/N)!" Sayu called out in excitement. Sayu had very much taken a liking to you, so she was always excited whenever you came over.

"Hi Sayu!" you waved at her. You then turned to Light and held out the container.

"As promised!" you said, handing the container to him.

"Thanks (F/N)," he smiled.

The three of you then sat down and ate dinner. Afterwards, you went to Light's room to hang out.

'Today is the fifth day after Light's first kill. If I recall correctly, he must have met Ryuk this afternoon, meaning there is an invisible flying monster in this room as I speak...er think,' you thought to yourself. Sure, you knew Ryuk wasn't all that scary because you've seen him in the anime, but now that you knew it was all real, it felt a lot scarier than you thought.

'I should avoid leaving Light on his own for too long, lest he get carried away with the killings. Though I should be careful not to spend too much time with him. He wouldn't risk using the notebook in my presence, so if I'm with him all the time, he would run out of time to use the notebook. If that happens, he'll likely greatly reduce the time he spends with me, then we'll grow apart, then I won't be able to save him...'

"Light, can we play chess?" you asked eagerly.

"Are you sure? I like you best when you're happy, you know?" he teased.

"Hey! Just because I haven't won a single game until now, it doesn't mean that I'll never win one!" you huffed.

'I'll keep things simple for now. My first task will be to try and keep Light as normal and down-to-earth as possible. I'll keep him from becoming a crazy psycho. And the best way to do that...that I can think of, at least, is to do mundane things like playing games! It doesn't get more normal than this!' you thought.

Your first game with Light ended rather quickly...in your defeat. You immediately demanded a rematch. The second game went rather similarly. The same pattern continued for another hour, until Light finally convinced you to give up.

"(F/N), it's a school night," said Light.

"Alright, alright! We will still be having a rematch though. We'll just postpone it to some other time," you said.

You were quite competitive. Though it was just a few petty games of chess, you were quite dejected. It was especially infuriating because of Light's cocky attitude. He made his victories look so effortless.

"I'll see you tomorrow, (F/N). Want to walk to school together?"

"Sure," you said in a listless voice, clearly still affected by the chess matches.

Light sighed.

"You know, I did warn you," he said.

'Well, at least I know he really cares since he's never gone easy on me,' you smiled inwardly.

"Okay fine, let's just forget about chess! Anyway, you better rest well tonight, okay? Think happy thoughts before going to bed, and you'll defeat all the nightmares!" you giggled.

"Alright, alright," Light smiled at you.

Light walked you to the gate of your house which was across the street. The two of you then said your goodbyes for the night, and parted ways.