nine

She stumbles off the bike after I park it. My hands grip her waist to steady her and she stares at the ground. Finally she looks up to me and I smile, "you okay?"

"Mhmm, just still vibrating from the bike I guess." She laughs, "does my hair look okay still?"

I fix it a little and say, "Yup. All good Madeleine."

Our eyes meet again and she asks, "why do you call me Madeleine? Not Mads or something?"

"Well, I haven't found a nickname for you yet. Why do you call me Blade and not B?"

She giggles and looks to her shoes, "I haven't found the right nickname for you either." She looks back up to me.

"Come on," I say as the bell rings indicating the doors are now opened.

We walk in side by side. Delilah finds us and asks, "you guys came here together on Blade's bike?"

"Yeah why?" Madeleine asks.

"You guys need to just date already!" Kaylee says rolling their eyes.

Kaylee and Delilah both see how we look at each other. They both know i like her. I just don't want to fuck it up and move too fast. Being best friends is okay for now.

Yes, we've kissed so I guess best friends who kiss now? I don't know, but whatever we are right now is okay with me.

The bell rings so me, Madeleine and Kaylee head to first period.

Sitting in our seats the teacher heads in.

I don't like this teacher, but I guess she's okay. She forced me and Madeleine to get closer I guess. Maybe she did this on purpose.

I rest my hand on the desk and wish I could pull Madeleine closer or hold her hand maybe.

The day goes by quickly and at the end of the school day I head out to my bike. I sit on it waiting for Madeleine and about five minutes go by. When she doesn't come out i go back into the school to find her.

The school was almost empty now.

My phones goes off and I see a text from Madeleine. I call her and don't get an answer. She said Darrius wanted to take her home.

I know she wouldn't go with him though.

I run outside and get on my bike and find his car. I follow behind him until he stops at what must be his place.

I didn't care if he knew I was following him. Nor did I actually think about it. I was more worried about Madeleine.

He got out and runs to the other side pulling her out. She struggled and stomps on his foot. I run over quickly and grab him by the throat. I hit him roughly with my fists.

Once again blacking out while hitting him I get pulled back by the sound if scream crying.

Madeleine.

I get up and instantly run over to her. She collapses into my arms and whimpers leave her lips.

"Did he hurt you? Or touch you or anything?" I ask quickly as I hold her tightly.

"No. No. He didn't. Just please get me out of here!" She says softly.

I pick her up and walk over to my bike, leaving Darrius unconscious. I get on my bike and help her on, making sure she's got her helmet on.

I speed back to my place and carry her inside, not caring about the looks my siblings are giving me.

I lay her in my bed and she rests her head on my chest.

"I'm sorry," I whisper to her.

"It wasn't your fault."

"Still. I'm sorry."

She looks at me and pulls myself into a kiss. Her hands in my hair and my hands holding her face. Our tounges hitting each other and us losing our breath quickly.

Madeleine pulls away and says, "you need to stop apologizing."

"Well if that's the punishment for apologizing then I'm never going to stop," I smile making her cheeks flush a bright pink color.

She rolls her eyes and says, "you need to clean your room."

I look around, clothes are thrown everywhere and an old pizza box sits in my desk. My dresser drawers hang open and my closet is a disaster.

"Sorry."

She giggles, "I'm kidding."

I smile and bring her in for another kiss. She climbs onto my lap and I hold her hips. She pulls at my hair softly and when she pulls away she says, "I'm sorry. I- I didn't mean to do this," she gestures to our position right now.

"Oh no it's okay. I didn't necessarily stop you," I smile and she does too.

She sighs, "I like you. A lot."

Our eyes don't meet. As she stares at my chest.

"I like you a lot too Madeleline."

"I- nevermind." She climbs off of me and makes her way to the door.

I rush and grab her wrist softly, "hey hey hey. You can't walk out like that. Not now." She doesn't look at me. She stares at the ground as if it's the most interesting thing. "Madeleine? Talk to me."

She shakes her head.

"Why?"

"I'm scared," her voice is low and soft.

"Of what?"

She shrugs, "what we could do to each other. What if it didn't work out? What if I hurt you?"

I walk backwards toward my bed, still holding her writs softly, and I sit down. She takes a step forward in-between my legs. "What'd you mean what we could do to each other?"

"My parents use to fight a lot and they broke up for a while and it hurt them really really bad. They've never been the same. They're better, yeah, but it's not like when Kane and I were really little."

"You're scared we'll turn into them?"

"Basically," she sighs, "I don't want to break your heart."

I slide my hands to her waist and say, "I would never ever hurt you Madeleine. My heart? It's already broken."