46

Chapter 46 | The "Right" Side of History
[Y/N]

He chuckled darkly as he walked over until he was standing right next to the bed that I was chained on. He bent down so that he was on the same eye level as me.

"I don't think you'll be able to. Besides, I'm going to have a lot of fun with you," he growled with a smirk on his face.

"You can try, you fucktard," I spat in his face.

"Why you-" he growled as leaped towards me but he was pulled by the collar by a person I hadn't realized had entered my prison.

"Now, now, Chanseong," the Black Tiger Hybrid clicked his tongue with amusement clear on his face. "That's no way to treat our guest."

"Yeah, cause chaining them up in a tiny ass room with no window is the perfect way to treat a guest," I scoffed.

"Ha!" The Hybrid laughed. "I like her." Then he turned to Chanseong and glared at him. "Don't do anything you're going to regret. Taecyeon wants to see you."

"But-"

"No buts, he's angry. Really angry," the Tiger informed Chanseong who rolled his eyes.

"Fine," Chanseong frowned before leaving the room.

I was left with the Black Tiger Hybrid but I was still on high alert. I didn't want to give him any chance to pounce on me when I let my guard down. Besides, I still wanted to find a way out of here. He grabbed a chair and sat down as he looked at me. He smirked almost as if he knew what I was thinking.

"You know, you won't be able to get out of here, you know that?" He asked me almost like a rhetorical question.

I rolled my eyes. "You don't even know me," I pointed out. "For all you know, I could be a wizard."

He chuckled as he crossed his legs to get into a more comfortable position. "I know enough," he told me. "Chanseong just wouldn't shut up about you. How you smell so good-" he took in a deep breath to smell my scent. "Strawberries. Nice, but not really my style. I'm not into the whole floral-fruity scents. I like more of a woodsy scent myself."

I just nodded. I didn't know how to respond and I didn't know why he was being so cordial, not that I was complaining about it.

"You know, I didn't want to kidnap you and neither did Taecyeon. He knows you too, by the way. He knew your brother, too," the Hybrid continued speaking. "Anyway, he thought that the best way to get rid of your meddling was to get you to, in a figure of speech: hold hands with us. Not this. Not kidnapping, that's for sure. But you know Chanseong, once he's fixated on something he just can't ignore it."

"And why would I 'hold hands' with you?" I scoffed. 

"You fight for Hybrids, don't you?" He asked causing my eyebrow to raise. "You are the vigilante hero for all the younger Hybrids in the world. What we're doing in our company is, in essence, the same thing that you're fighting for: for the prejudice of the Hybrids to come to an end."

"I don't understand," I frowned. "You're kidnapping Hybrids, how the hell are you doing the same thing as me? Sure, I assault people when they piss me off but I don't go around kidnapping Hybrids and traumatizing them to the point they can't even talk to Humans or Hybrids." I'm reminded of how Seunghee was when I first met her. Scared of every little thing and unable to speak to anyone other than Hyojung and myself.

"It's just the inevitable side effect of what we're trying to do. Every great research needs its test subjects and sometimes there are losses," he responded as he rubbed his eyebrows. "We're creating a serum."

"A serum?" I asked, my interest peaking.

"A serum that changes the appearance of Hybrids to a normal Human. No more animal ears and no more tails. A serum that will allow Hybrids to live like normal Humans when they're out in public," he had a very salesman tone to what he was saying. "When the serum works, Hybrids will no longer be discriminated just because of how we were born. Hybrids will no longer be the victim of hate crimes by Hybrid Hate Groups and they won't get murdered because Humans can't accept the fact that we live together. What we're doing will change the lives of Hybrids for the better. Isn't that what you want?"

I shake my head. "You claim to be fighting for Hybrids, but what about those Hybrids that are traumatized by what you've done? They're victims of your crazy idea."

"Crazy?" He chuckled. "No, it's not crazy. We've been working on this serum for years and finally, we're nearly there. The serum will be complete after a few tweaks." He then got up from the chair and walked towards me. I stood my ground. His face was only a few inches away from mine. "Don't you want to be on the right side of history?"

"Don't make me laugh," I snarled. "You'll never be on the right side of history."

"Oh really?" The Tiger Hybrid smirked. "Why don't you enlighten me?"

"You think discrimination is going to disappear just because of a serum?" I asked. "Discrimination will never go away. It's the hard, sad truth of life. As long as there is something that separates people into groups, there will never be a truly equal society. If it's not Hybrid and Human, it'll be race or socioeconomic status, really anything that separates people," He frowned with anger in his eyes. "And besides, from what you said, the serum isn't a permanent thing. You can try your best to hide the truth but it will always come out. What's going to happen when Humans find out that the Hybrid was using the serum to trick people into believing their Human? And besides, some Hybrids are proud of being Hybrids. They're not going to want to appear like something they aren't. All you're doing is perpetuating the idea that Hybrids are unwanted. That's going to cause a lot of mental health problems because Hybrids will always be reminded that they don't belong unless they look like Humans. The only way you could be on the 'right' side of history is not by making a serum but to make better laws and continuously teach people that there is nothing wrong with being a Hybrid. You're only covering the problem and not really solving it."

"You don't understand because you aren't a Hybrid," he snarled. "We can't wait for the laws to catch up to where we are. For us, every day is war. Every day we go around fearing for our lives. When a Human assaults a Hybrid, it's a misdemeanor. When a Hybrid assaults a Human, it's a felony worthy of death. Even if we explain that it was for self-defense, it doesn't matter. We aren't allowed to protect ourselves from Humans. We've waited for the law to catch up long enough, it's time that we take this matter into our own hands because it's affecting us, not you."

I'm immediately reminded of the day I found Hoseok. How he didn't even try to fight back.

"The serum is a better way to solve the problem than what you're saying and it's quicker," he stood up straight and walked towards the door. "Think about it. Do you really think the laws are going to change? No. The laws are there to protect Humans, not Hybrids. And it will always protect the Humans. Always."

The door shut behind him which seemed to echo throughout the room.

☆