50

Chapter 50 | The Trial

"Choi Y/N?" A familiar voice called you out of your dazed state. You looked over and saw Lee Donghae, one of the prison guards standing right next to you. "Your mates are here to see you," he told you softly.

You took in a deep breath and nodded. Since two weeks ago, when you were placed into the prison system once again, your mates have made it almost their mission to visit you every single day. You had very mixed feelings about seeing your mates. On one hand, you were extremely grateful that they were supporting you every step of the way. On the other hand, you felt ashamed to see them. Although who actually pulled the trigger was a mystery, you still felt sick to your stomach that you had played an active role in killing a Hybrid.

Donghae brought you to the room where visitations were held. When you walked into the room, your seven mates were seated and their faces brightened when they saw you. When they saw that you weren't your usual self and seemed to have a dark cloud over you, their smiles faded quickly.

Taehyung, wordlessly, stood up and walked toward you before enveloping you in a hug. You stood there, unable to hug him back. He pulled back, still smiling as if nothing was wrong. He softly grabbed your hand and led you towards the other Hybrids who were seated, waiting for you.

"How are you?" Yoongi spoke up, his voice was very soft.

"I'm hanging on," you told your mates truthfully.

"You know we don't blame you, right?" Seokjin asked, softly stroking your hair.

"It's true," Jungkook chimed in. "You didn't have a choice. It was you or him, and I'm glad that you were okay."

You gave Jungkook a small smile, at his attempts to make you feel better.

"How are you feeling about the trial tomorrow?" Yoongi asked, changing the topic from the more sensitive one that Jungkook unknowingly brought up.

"Honestly I don't care about the outcome," you said looking down at your feet. "If they find me guilty of manslaughter, I'll accept it. If they don't find me guilty... I don't know. I still feel responsible for what happened."

"You were kidnapped," Namjoon reminded you. "The SWAT team took pictures and tested both your hands for gunshot residue. Your statement of what happened lines up with the evidence that we found-"

"Yeah, but he still died," you said, finally looking up at Namjoon. "No matter what happened, he still died. A life was taken away. And I had something to do with it."

"A terrible life," Jimin couldn't help mutter under his breath. Hoseok, who had heard the snarky comment, elbowed Jimin's side.

"As Jungkook said, it was either your life or his," Hoseok spoke up for the first time. "For us, even if you are found guilty and need to serve time in here. We're so happy that you are still alive and with us. Don't forget that. Please."

Tears started forming in your eyes. To have mates that are so supportive and loving was a gift that you didn't feel like you deserved. "Thank you," you breathed out. One by one, started by Yoongi, your mates began hugging you, giving you the strength you needed for the trial.

It was quiet as the entire audience waited for the result of the trial. The trial wasn't too long. Both sides had much to say but it all seemed to point in the same direction. The killing of Hwang Chanseong was either manslaughter, self-defense, or it was Chanseong, himself, who ended up pulling the trigger.