28

*Piper*

Jason, of course, had been rushed to the hospital right away. We had put him in the back of the car and drove ourselves to the hospital. it was too risky to have an ambulance come with all those gunmen around. He was immediately taken to the emergency room. Dozens of surgeons and doctors have been working on him last night. Now he was in a recovery room in the intensive care unit.

I held his hand, which was full of tubes and wires, in mine. Me and the boys waited together for the results from one of the doctors. Jasper, Max and Adam sat on the folding chairs by the window and Luca paced down the hall. I still couldn't look at him after that kiss with that girl. I was already very emotional with the whole situation with Luk and then this came on top of it.

It was quiet in the room. The only sound we heard was the beeping of the heart monitor. I looked at my brother, who looked surprisingly good. He had only been hit by one bullet, but in the wrong place. He had no scratches or cuts, just a large bruise around the wound.

The door opened and my head immediately shot to the door. A doctor entered the room along with Luca and Lyla, who had just arrived. Lyla saw Jason lying on all the tubes and fell to the floor crying. I let go of Jason's hand and walked over to her. I got on my knees and put my arms around her.

"I have the results of the operations." said the doctor. "He was hit in a bad spot, but the bullet didn't hit any arteries or other fatal spots. If all goes well, he could survive the shot, but that's different for each person. We're keeping him in an artificial coma now, until he's strong enough to wake up on his own." I thanked the doctor and he left.

"It's going to be okay, Lyla." I whispered. "You heard the doctor and we both know Jason is strong. He'll be back." I wiped Lyla's tears with my sleeve. Lyla sniffed her nose and straightened. She walked over to Jason and sat down where I had just sat. She took his hand and stroked his cheek with her other hand.

"Let's leave them alone for a while." I said to the boys. We walked out of the room and sat down in the hallway. I slid down the dull, sitting wall and crawled closer to Adam. He put his arm around me and I began to cry silently.

"It's going to be okay, little one." I nodded and laid my head on his shoulder. Luca, sitting diagonally across from me, looked at me in anguish. On the one hand, I wanted him to take me in his arms and whisper comforting words, but on the other, I wanted him to go away and leave me alone. Luca was about to say something when I heard a boom in Jason's room.

"I'll take a look." I said to the boys. I got up and walked into the room. Lyla sat on the floor with her head in her hands. I sat down next to her and ran my hand over her back. I tried to soothe her, but it didn't work.

"There was something else going on, wasn't it?" I asked when Lyla didn't respond to my presence. She nodded at me with tears in her eyes. She inhaled a deep breath of air and, trembling, blew it out again.

"I wanted to tell him, but his phone cut out and then..." Her breathing became faster and shorter.

"Quiet." I calmed down. "You need to keep breathing easy, Lyla." She tried to follow my advice and her breathing became steady again.

"I'm... I'm pregnant." she said softly.

"From Jason?" She nodded. I looked at her belly and indeed saw a reasonable bulge under her shirt. How did I never notice that before! It's so obvious!

"for how long." I asked her. "Because I think you've been on your way for a while."

"Almost four months. I found out last week. The signs of pregnancy were there, but I just ignored them. I thought we were always doing it safely. I'm done with Christmas." I stroked Lyla's head.