Chapter 37| Courage Isn't The Absence Of Fear

Chapter thirty-seven: Courage isn't the absence of fear

O L I V I A

Since I was officially out of the office business for a while, I took a luxury morning and slept till late. I was really tired for some reason and didn't wake up even when Kai left before sunrise. I barely kissed him back and then went under the sweet blanket of slumber.

I felt a little guilty when I woke up and saw Josh passed out on the couch but then told myself that it's okay to take some me-time every once in a while. I had had an epiphany that I was too much of a people pleaser - especially when it came to friends and family. I'd promised myself to work on that.

I also called and talked to both my friends at work. We video called at lunch and I caught them up. The news of my termination had already reached them and I allowed myself to be berated for not telling them myself. They were my close colleagues and they deserved to know it firsthand from me. I told them I'd stay in touch and they seemed pleased about that.

Josh left after lunch, promising to come back in the evening for Sam. She had told me that he wanted her to move in with him but she was stalling. She was uncertain about taking that step. I didn't fail to remind her that she was literally carrying his child. Moving in would be the best choice. That way Josh wouldn't have to go back and forth between our apartments too much and it would also make co-parenting easy after the baby would be born. It was her call in the end. We didn't pressurize her.

I wiled away most of my day watching Netflix. I felt like I had earned it. I was also delaying time to put off what needed to be done. Late in the afternoon, I finally made a decision. I rang Mia.

"Hello?" A chirpy voice greeted. Reception.

"Hi," I worked on keeping my voice confident. "Are you speaking from Erbe International?"

"Yes," she replied politely. "How can I help you?"

I took in a deep breath. Here goes.

"Can you please connect me to Mia Schotz?" I requested.

"Ms. Schotz doesn't speak to just anyone," the receiver said apologetically. "Do you have an appointment? Does she know you were going to call?"

My stomach churned with sudden uncertainty.

"I guess she expected me to call." I bit my lip. "Can you tell her it's Olivia Davis and see if she agrees?"

She sighed. "Okay. Give me a minute."

I waited anxiously as she put me on hold. I ate from the packet of Doritos that Sam had bought shamelessly. She would eat my stuff, too. That's how roommates work.

"Okay, she agreed," the lady spoke. "I'll redirect your line, alright, honey?"

I sighed in relief.

"Sure. Thanks," I replied. I kept myself from biting my nails while Mia connected.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mia," I uttered. "It's Liv."

"Olivia!" She greeted and I cringed a little. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Okie.

"I was hoping to take you up on your offer if it's still open," I said, working with the little window I seemed to have.

"Of course!" She exclaimed. "Why don't you drop by my office sometime this week and chalk out the details? You can join from the first of the coming month if everything works out well."

Relief flooded my veins.

"That'll be great." I sighed. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." She brushed it off. "I've seen your work and we'll be lucky to have you."