Epilogue Part One| Earth Side

Epilogue pt. 1: Earth side

K A I S O N

"Kai!"

I jerked up at the call, feeling a little disoriented.

"Livvy?" I sat up, feeling for her hand and fumbling for the bedside lamp.

It had been two years since we got married and I still felt the same joy when I saw her beside me as my wife. Yes, I finally got on one knee, just like I promised I would. It was on our first anniversary. Well, the one in August. We had another one in February and though we celebrated it and it was important to us, the date of our reunion was more dear to us. It was the day we got the fresh start we needed. It was the day I got the love of my life back. It was the day that pushed our lives in the right direction again.

"I think my water just broke," she panted out. Her forehead was shining with sweat and her blue eyes were wary. I was awake instantly.

"Are you sure?" I panicked, throwing the comforter off. "You still have two weeks to go."

"I don't know, Kai. Why don't you take a whiff of the liquid soaking my comforter and make sure it's not just pee?" She asked sarcastically.

Is this her freaking out?

"Are you having contractions?" I asked as I went through our overnight hospital bag, trying to calm her by being calm myself and being as casual as I could.

It's not like our kid is coming right now.

"Yeah, sorta," she replied, placing a hand on her protruding belly.

I racked my brains to remember what questions I was supposed to ask.

"How far apart?" I questioned, placing our phones into the bag and getting out a pair of comfortable clothes for her from the closet.

"Umm, maybe every twenty minutes or so?" She answered uncertainly.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I groaned as I helped her sit and then stand. "Easy," I cautioned when she grimaced.

"I was afraid you'd lose your shit and run around like a headless chicken," she admitted when it passed.

"Seriously?" I deadpanned, leading her to the bathroom slowly.

"Umm-hmm . . . Ah!" She winced, pausing.

"There's no hurry. Relax," I coaxed her.

She chuckled weakly. "She's coming out now and that's what you have to say?"

"What else can I say?" I reluctantly let go of her hands and worked to help her get changed.

She sighed. "Good point."

"Olivia, how far are the contractions?" I asked when she was dressed.

"I don't know, I stopped keeping track," she said meekly. I nodded.

"Was that a contraction just now?" I questioned when she grimaced.

"Not really, I'm actually just uncomfortable," she complained. "And my back fucking hurts."

"It'll all be over soon."

She rolled her eyes. "I know. Let's go."

I took a deep breath.

"Let's go," I echoed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

She had been only four centimeters dilated when we had rushed to the hospital. Although the place didn't admit patients till they were at least five centimeters, they had let Livvy in because her water had broken.