01.

Chapter One

Seven years ago, I met Sefa, and after two months of him incessantly pursuing me on social media, I finally acquiesced to go on a date with him, which proved to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Though he initially seemed like an amazing boyfriend, after six months of dating I realized he had significant flaws that became more apparent over time. For instance, his constant indecisiveness was frustrating; he would enthusiastically promise to do things for me, only to change his mind moments later.

Another example is that he wanted me to travel with him globally for his work, but I could not abandon my family responsibilities to do so. Sefa did not understand my obligations.

Although his family meant well, they were often overbearing and insensitive, which tested my patience. However, they showed kindness to my daughters, so I tried to tolerate their problematic behavior rather than lash out when they said or did something inappropriate.

Our relationship ended when he asked me to move to Las Vegas with him. I declined because I have responsibilities here and would only consider such a major move if we had a serious commitment like marriage.

When Sefa expressed that he wasn't ready for marriage, I told him I would not relocate without an engagement ring. Sefa then suggested ending our relationship, as he desired a girlfriend who could be with him constantly.

Frustrated, I felt that a year of my life had been squandered, as he was aware from the beginning that I had a family to care for and could not be the type of girlfriend who was available to her boyfriend at all hours of the day.

Now after years of hard work, I have achieved my dream of becoming a celebrity hairstylist, makeup artist, and owning a clothing brand. I now own a thriving cosmetics company as well as beauty salons in Pensacola, Tampa, Miami, and Atlanta.

All that I had envisioned has come to fruition. I have moved my family to a better community, and my younger siblings have graduated high school and college or are currently attending college.

The only thing that hadn't changed was my feelings for Sefa. I'll admit that I quietly kept up with him on social media, monitoring his activities. Though I never reached out, I was happy to see him accomplishing great things.

I never thought I would see him again, until I received an offer to work as a hairstylist and makeup artist for WWE for a few weeks. At first, I planned to decline, but the generous pay changed my mind. I booked first-class plane tickets for my daughters and me to join their tour for the next event on their wrestling schedule.

Now you're thinking, how did she run into Sefa? My chance encounter with Sefa occurred at a last-minute photo shoot for WWE talents that I was booked for.

When I arrived at the photoshoot and saw Sefa was one of the talents, I was taken aback. Though I tried to remain professional, I felt nervous and self-conscious around him, knowing he could sense the effect his presence had on me. After we finished, I hurriedly collected my pay and left, hoping to avoid an awkward interaction with him.

Unfortunately, in my concern about seeing Sefa, I had forgotten his family members also worked for the company. They were there for the photoshoot too.

While doing Trinity's makeup, Sefa entered with a large bouquet and handed me a flower.

Trinity looked at me apologetically and revealed that Sefa begged her to inform him when she would see me so that he could show up.

I told Trinity that it was okay, and I knew how persistent Sefa could be, so I didn't blame her for telling him.

Sefa stayed by my side the whole shoot, trying to get me to talk to him. I said goodbye to everyone and packed up my things as I was about to pick up my bags. Sefa grabbed them and smiled at me.

"Lead the way," Sefa said.

I mentally rolled my eyes but led the way to the parking garage to my rental car.

"I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, Sefa, but this isn't going to work," I told Sefa.

"Fabiola, I want you back," Sefa said.

I scoffed and grabbed my bags from him and unlocked the car, and put them in. I walked over to the driver's side and opened the door.

"Sefa, goodbye," I said.

"Fabiola, wait!" Sefa said as he ran after me and grabbed me by the arm, and pulled me to a stop.

"Let me go, Sefa," I said, struggling to get my arm away from him.

"Just listen to me," Sefa said, begging me.

"What?" I asked him.

"How have you been?" Sefa asked me.

"Really? Fine, I've been great; great career, happy life," I answered.

"And how's Kassandra and Kaylea?" Sefa asked me.

"They're good," I replied.

Sefa sighed.

Looking remorseful, Sefa said to me, "Fabiola, I'm so sorry for how I hurt you. Ending our relationship was the biggest mistake I've ever made. I took you for granted and lost the best thing in my life. I was childish and immature. You mean everything to me. Please, can we try again? I still love you."

"I honestly don't think, even if I give you another chance, that we could make this work. I'm sorry, Sefa," I answered.

"Fab, I'm willing to put in the work this time; I'm okay with long-distance; I won't pressure you about moving. Just give us another chance, please," Sefa said.

"Not happening," I said.

"Fab," Sefa said.

"No," I said, getting into the car.