Fɪᴠᴇ

Luna

The putrid smell of narcotics wafts through my nostrils and I feel my stomach unconsciously clench – no matter how many times I've smelt it, it always seems to be more repulsive. Austin's spacious living room is now filled with intoxicated teenagers. The hot air makes it harder to breathe as the sweaty bodies parade throughout the house. I cautiously maneuver through the herd, consciously trying to avoid colliding with someone. I effortlessly retreat to the kitchen, a perk of knowing this house like the back of my hand. I glance around the room, avoiding the gazes of the few inhabitants. I make a concoction in one of the cliché red cups and take a small sip, wincing at the pungent flavor. Obnoxious laughter flitters through my ear mixed with the booming music. Austin and his friends are standing just outside the kitchen, teasingly jabbing each other making jokes at the expense of another. Each of them firmly clutched a red cup in their hands as they glanced down at something on Austin's phone, which he hurriedly placed back in his pocket when I began my approach.

"Hey, babe." He cheerfully states leaning down to place a chaste kiss on my cheek – the sickening essence of beer overbearing my nostrils. I unintentionally scrunch my nose and offer them the smallest of smiles. Austin wraps an arm around my waist as they continue their obnoxious antics. I sigh in relief as I spot Maya approaching and immediately flee the rowdy group towards my best friend.

"So, don't hate me, but I brought a friend." She immediately speaks into my ear, but before I can even question who she brought the figure appears next to us.

"Hope we're not late." He replies with a cocky grin as he glances around the living room. Maya bites her lip as she gazes directly into my harsh eyes.

"I'm going to get a drink." Hudson replies with his hands in his pockets, seemingly unbothered by my lack of conversation. He casually struts through the crowd.

"Hear me out." Maya blurts. "We recently became econ partners and I think he's cool once you get over his arrogance – we were talking about the party during class and I invited him along."

I wanted to scream at her and curse her for inviting my worst enemy and the most annoying human being to my boyfriend's party – the same boyfriend that despises him. However, I have never been able to be upset with Maya. She has always had the natural ability to make friends with anyone she crosses paths with, even if the new friend is a deranged and arrogant jerk.

"It's fine." I sigh in defeat.

How much trouble can one person make anyway?

I offer an encouraging grin and glance towards Austin and his buddies. I sigh in relief as he hasn't seen Hudson yet and the optimist in me hopes the party is too crowded for their paths to cross.

Hudson

I have never been one for parties or social gatherings – the thought of surrounding myself with people I barely associate with at school is seemingly appalling to me. If I don't enjoy their company at school, why would it be any different outside of it? Most teenagers spend their entire high school career desperate to be liked and to fit in – but I revel in being an outsider. Looking from the outside makes you realize how truly pretentious all the popular people are. The highest level of the social hierarchy is the epitome of hypocrisy – nothing genuine or redeeming in any of those people. Some would call me dramatic, but that's what they always call you when they know you're telling the truth. Everyone demands the truth, but most don't like when you have the guts to speak it.

I enter the spacious kitchen of Austin Chambers smirking at the image of his angry face when he notices me in his house – especially since I was not honored enough to receive an invitation. I wince at the foul-tasting beer as I take the smallest of sips. Alcohol has never been my thing – but, neither have people and here I am. At that thought, I take another large gulp wincing at the disgusting taste.