Chapter Five

Waverly limped towards the Triad and grabbed its tail but the creature barely noticed her. She climbed up its back and pulled her bloody sword out of the limp dog's skull then gazed down reluctantly at what she assumed would be Judson's body but all she could see were green leafy plants.

She cocked her head in confusion.

"Vegetables!" Judson's voice came from beside her.

Waverly jumped off the distracted Triad and ran up to him. He looked okay and without a single scratch except that his clothes were dirty and torn like hers.

"H-how did y-you. . . ?" She stuttered, glancing from him to the creature. The Triad was digging into an unnaturally large pile of green vegetables and whenever it was about to finish up the pile, another one sprang up.

Judson shrugged and tapped the many pockets of his shirt. "I brought seeds!"

Waverly laughed in relief. She developed right there a huge respect for Judson and his magic seeds.

"Interesting!" She giggled.

The Triad hungrily tore through the vegetables but they only seemed to multiply by the second. That did not bother the animal because it just kept eating. Its hunger for greens was an insatiable one.

"Indeed!" A new voice agreed.

Waverly swung her blade before she even saw the intruder. He caught her arm in one fluid movement.

"Careful now!" Said the intruder. He lowered Waverly's arm and she gave a sharp gasp.

The intruder was a young boy - probably eighteen years of age by the look of him. He was taller than an average Elf and had eyes the color of amethyst. His eyebrows were high and his nose was exceptionally small and pointy. His skin was the color of earth. His hair was a wave of thick brown curls tied back with a long ribbon that glowed red. He wore a grey shirt, a brown jacket made from materials Waverly had never seen and long trousers. He was also barefoot but much like Judson, it did not seem to bother him at all.

Waverly could see that he was no Elf. He was no Shade nor was he Human. He looked entirely different from every specie in the seven realms. Around his neck hung a formless necklace of quartz. Waverly had seen those minerals every time Judson dug a new hole in the ground. They looked to be staining the boy's shirt. A funny kind of aura that seemed to pulsate came from his body but Waverly had no idea what it was.

"Who are you two?" The intruder asked.

He seemed to have been studying Judson and Waverly as much as the latter had done him.

"We. . . are, erm. . . " Waverly looked to Judson for help.

She hoped he might recognize the stranger or have some information about him but her best friend looked just about as clueless as she.

"We are?" The stranger prodded, lifting an eyebrow so high that it was almost lost in his hairline.

Waverly admired his dark brown hair. It seemed to shimmer by catching even the faintest light despite how farther away the boy stood from the sunlight.

"My name is Waverly and this is my friend, Judson." Waverly finally introduced. She gazed warily at the boy and hoped he was not another monster in disguise.

He tilted his head and a smile played on his lips. His teeth resembled that of a canine.

"You think so?"

Waverly blinked. "Pardon me mister, what?"

"You think that i am a monster. . . in a disguise?" The boy asked. Even though his voice sounded firm, he did not look offended. He looked rather amused.