Chapter Thirteen

When the monstrous figure began to rise, Waverly clutched Selene's arm really tight. The aura of light around the goddess blazed dangerously for a short while dispersing the darkness then it flickered and returned to a dull glow.

The monster cackled maliciously.

"Is it all you are now capable of, Alluña?" It asked then scoffed. "Pity!"

Waverly looked to her mother wondering why the monster had called her by a different name. Selene glanced at her for a brief moment. Her face was angry and full of detestation.

"Alluña is what i was called once, back in the olden days whenever i descended down to the earth as a mortal." Selene explained with a bit of distaste. It seemed to Waverly that her mother either hated the name or the fact that the monster had used it.

"Yes, yes! Now, to the youngling. I might have underestimated you just a little bit, child." The monster said.

As it spoke, it continued rising and its ancient aura threatened to collapse the entire chasm. The ground trembled miserably and rocks began to automatically uproot themselves from the ground. Waverly moved her hand and discovered that she could. She gasped as she realized the tremor had also uprooted her chains from wherever they had been planted.

She kept silent about this.

"What do you want from my mother?" She queried, trying to sound tough but the clouds were so black now that it seemed she was talking to pure darkness. This made her voice sound much more squeakier than she intended it to be.

The monster laughed in derision. Waverly guessed it was now even higher up because the rising darkness was almost out of sight but its voice still came from directly in front of her.

"Whatever should make you think i want your mother, youngling?" It asked.

"You have her in chains!" Waverly yelled.

"Yes indeed i do. Do you wish me to tell you why or do you want to figure that out by yourself?"

Waverly wanted to speak but her mouth only opened and shut. She hated the strange monster and how it talked with such smugly pride like it owned everything but she also wished to at least understand why it was doing whatever it was doing.

So she tried to reason for herself.

Nalie had told her that Selene was captured because the evil monster's plan was to snuff out her light giving powers. It would continue to snuff out the powers of all the deities who held some control over natural light until only the darkness remained. Waverly assured herself that he would not win then proceeded to think more. She had dreamed about her mother calling to her, suffered for many long days crossing the Gateway realm, met friends and foe alike, encountered Tunis who had stolen her best friend and buried her underground then magically teleported herself to the island and was given a chance to meet the primordial Mother Nature, battled large cats of darkness and consequently discovered her true heritage.

Waverly looked up at the monster. She could not see anything other than its large green and black eyes but she guessed it was waiting for her to give an answer. She wondered why it did not read her thoughts like the rest of the gods.

"You are simply wasting your time. Whatever you plan to do is already a failure."

The energy that had been building in the cave ever since the creature started rising seemed to contract and with a deafening pop, the black clouds became a wild hurricane. The turbulence only spun for a minute before it died. The blackness dissolved back to red and the chasm returned to its former ugly and unpleasant glory.

A man walked forward from the dying storm accompanied by a really large animal. It was Malvarëken. She seemed even deadlier now beside the intruder and Waverly could see that her rope was still entangled on the lioness's back.