Chapter Ten

Judson was able to weave a bag out of a bunch of thick vines that Waverly spotted growing out from a corner of the cave. It took him an hour or two as weaving bags were much harder than weaving bracelets. Waverly whiled away time by sitting on a wet rock and watching water drip unceremoniously from the cavern roof.

When Judson was done at last they packed as much food supplies as they could from the ship (which was nothing more than a few slices of bread and two bottles; one of milk, the other of water).

Before they ventured into the cave, Waverly revealed that she was worried about leaving Estoso behind.

"We cannot bring a ship with us to dry land, Waverly. You know that." Judson pointed out as he put some finishing touches to the strap of the bag.

Meanwhile, Waverly was staring intently at the ship. The top of its middle mast was high but the cavern roof was even higher and because they had sailed closer to the cave, the rocks seemed to have sheltered the ship from whomever might sail past without looking its way. Albeit, Waverly did not feel any better.

"We can always come back to her." Judson offered.

A few large drops of water fell into his hair. He moved from his standing spot but it did no good. Water still rained on him. Judson frowned up at the cavern roof and the water stopped dripping immediately but Waverly did not notice this.

"I wonder. . ." She mused quietly, biting her lip whilst staring hard at Estoso.

She climbed toward the ship and placed a foot atop the rigging then grabbed the halyards and lowered the sails. When she took hold of the original mast, the entire ship startlingly collapsed to mere water leaving only the mast which had become an oar again in Waverly's hand. She stood waist high in the water, grinning satisfactorily.

The image of Estoso's birth replayed in her mind and she shuddered in excitement.

Who was the god powerful enough to raise a ship from mere wood, wind and water?

"That. . . that could work!" said Judson, absentmindedly gaping at the scene. "How did you. . . ?"

"I do not know but the man who gave me the ship created simply it from this oar. It is a good thing that i can carry Estoso around with me now so that no harm can come to her."

"You still feel guilt over Hilda." Judson concluded knowingly as Waverly waded out of the water. Her boots made squishing noises when she surfaced, dripping wet from the waist down.

She cast a sad glance at him and walked past. "Pepinguild was kind to me. I had no right to let his boat come to chaos like that."

"Tumut was the one to blame. He caused Hilda to sink and tried to kill us." Judson comforted.

"Of course. But now we need to figure out where we are." Waverly nodded, scanning the cave.

It was incredibly large and covered in beautiful green vegetation. Tiny flowers of white and blue blossomed along the stone walls and crept into the roof. There was a single clear body of water running from a deep drain where the salty sea spilled into and became fresh water. This stream wove its the way deeper into the cave and into a sickly green forest that was not far from sight. Waverly could spot tiny colorful fishes swimming inside the stream. The sound of water trickling from above - being the only noise in the place - had miraculously seized.

Waverly looked up, wondering where the leaking water had been coming from.

"It is too welcoming." She stated, disconcerted and alarmed by the sudden serenity. Her voice echoed gently off the cave walls.  "I do not like that."