22

Joe was quite nervous on Monday morning as he sat in the same training room where he had trained with Elle for the past week. On the one hand, his performance today would determine whether he would train normally with the team starting Wednesday, but on the other hand, he was hoping to run into Elle because he really needed to talk to her.

His disappointment was great when Nick entered the training room alone and it didn't look like he was expecting anyone else either. After Joe greeted Nick and shared that he was glad that Nick had come through his corona infection so well and was now back, he wondered if he could just ask for Elle.

"Elle has been keeping me up to date with reports for the last few weeks and according to her, you can go back, I'd just like to check, okay?" Nick studied the file while Joe winced briefly at Elle's name, thinking for a moment that Nick could read his mind.

But if Nick had already mentioned her name now, Joe just had to take the chance. He cleared his throat. "Yeah, been working really well with her the last few weeks. Where is Elle today anyway?" he asked, trying to look as casual as possible.

"Oh, she's having some kind of continuing education with Paul today about the duties and responsibilities we athletic trainers have during training week. They've been blocking the conference room all day. I would have taken her with me today and done the introduction tomorrow, but we have a meeting tomorrow with all the staff, coaches and all, to plan how we're going to handle the Covid measures in training camp. That will take all day tomorrow" Nick sighed.

"Oh ok. Just thought because she's been taking me on the last few weeks she'd want to be here today too" Joe mumbled. "I know, I know Joe. I'm not a pretty young girl that you're trying extra hard to look good for in front of her, but please give it all you' got today anyway so I can pass you off for Wednesday without a doubt, ok?" Nick grinned at him and Joe just nodded, "I'll do my best".

After practice, Nick had been quite pleased and had given Joe the approval for Wednesday, which Joe was very happy about, he went back to the locker room. He would practice a few more throws today, as he had done several times during noon the last few weeks.

When he arrived at his seat, it immediately caught his eye. In one of the compartments was the black Tshirt that Elle had worn when she had slept over. Had she been here? Why hadn't she handed it over personally?

He picked it up and immediately the scent of washing powder rose to his nose. She had washed it, but why hadn't she just handed it to him personally when they would see each other? Did she think he wanted the shirt back so badly or was she avoiding him? Or maybe she just hadn't thought about it and had just quickly put the Tshirt here for him in her free time before she had to go to the meeting with Paul.

"Bro, are you okay? You're looking at that tshirt a little too long" Ja'Marr brought Joe out of his thoughts. "Sorry, got distracted" Joe mumbled and stuffed the tshirt in his bag, at least that way he didn't have to see it again.

"oh ok, how was practice with Nick? Are you starting Wednesday?" Ja'Marr inquired. Joe nodded. "Yep, Nick cleared me" Joe stated. "Nice, congrats man" Ja'Marr raised his hand and Joe clapped in.

On Wednesday morning, all the players and coaches met in the big conference room for the start of training camp. As Nick had already announced, all the staff had had a meeting on Tuesday regarding Covid rules and procedures for the next few weeks, so the players had been asked to take Tuesday off and also not come to the facility to workout.

Zac clapped his hands to get the attention of all the players and asked them to be quiet so they could all hear him. "Welcome to training camp 2021" he started and everyone broke into claps and whistles.