90

Before you read this chapter, I want to make something clear. Starting in this chapter, Brittany Mahomes (or still Matthews at the time the chapters take place) and Jackson Mahomes are a relevant part to this story and I kinda make them the annoying almost mean kind of characters. I don't know either of them personally, nor do I know how accurate their portrayal is on social media or the internet in general. But I'm sure that some of you have seen the dramas around the two of them on many occasions and this side, this way with which the two there, partly themselves, represent, I will use for the characters in my story. Again, this is not to hate or expose them, I just needed an "enemy" for Elle.

The days flew by even faster since Leila was in Cincinnati during the week. For the time, she lived in Elle's apartment, who after all spent every night at Joe's. 

The campaign was very well received, with follower numbers tripling weekly, and the video of Elle at work had also received a lot of attention in a short time.

Things were mixed for the Bengals. After a loss to the 49ers the weekend after Joe's birthday, they had won the following week against the Broncos, but they hadn't gotten out over 15 points.

Last weekend, they had hosted the Ravens in Cincy and the Bengals' chances of winning the AFC North championship and making the playoffs had been a big motivation to win that game.

Plus, Joe had an especially big motivation on Boxing Day to really kick the Ravens' asses when Wink Martindale, the Ravens' defensive coordinator, nearly spoke negatively about Joe.

The result? A 41-21 win for the Bengals and a new record for Joe. 37 of 46 complete passes for 525 yards, the fourth most yards in a regular season in NFL history , four touchdowns and no interceptions. 143.2 passer rating.

Elle had been totally proud of him. Even her family, who were still in town because of the small Christmas two days earlier and therefore at the stadium, couldn't get out of their joy.

Joe just joked that Elle's family should come more often because it seemed like the Bengals were scoring 41 points every time they were at the stadium.

This weekend they hosted the Chiefs and the tension was high. The Bengals could secure the championship with a win, but the Chiefs were not a team that would be easy to win against. Especially since Patrick Mahomes was always at his best.

For Elle, the day started like any game day. She hid from the cameras that were at the entrance to the facility, put on her normal outfit that consisted of a Bengals sweater and sweat pans and taped the players before going to the briefing.

The ATs then headed out onto the field where the guys were already warming up. The tension and anticipation for today's game could also already be felt in the atmosphere of the stadium.

Elle stood on the side with Nick and Michael and no sooner had she started a conversation with them than she heard someone calling her name somewhere around her. By now she was used to fans doing that. Usually she turned around, waved briefly and that was that, but when she turned to the stands behind her today, she couldn't spot anyone.

Had she imagined something?

She refocused on the conversation with Nick and Michael, until at some point Nick interrupted himself mid-sentence and sighed.

"Elle, can you please finally take care of those screamers back there who call your name all the time and desperately want your attention? They're annoying!" he gestured toward the half where the Chiefs were warming up.

It was only now that Elle spotted the woman and guy yelling and waving frantically in her direction in a fenced-off area.

"Uh, yeah, I'll go handle that for a minute. Be right....back" she mumbled confusedly before making her way over to the two.

"Oh my god, hey Elle. It's so good to finally meet you in person. Big fan of what you do" the blonde woman with the big grin immediately pulled Elle into a big hug as if they were best friends.

"T-Thanks. Do...do we know each other somehow?" Elle was totally confused while the boy also hugged her, he was probably just a few years younger than her.

"Oh, sorry. I'm used to people knowing me. How silly of me. You haven't been here that long" the woman laughed. "yes, not that long" Elle mumbled in confusion.

"Brittany Matthews, well soon, Mahomes. I'm Pat's fiancée" she held out her hand on whose ring finger sparkled a large ring. "Oh, congratulations" Elle was still confused.

"Jackson Mahomes. Pat's brother and biggest fan" the boy also introduced himself.

"Well, who I am you seem to know" Elle tried to smile, but the whole thing was still very suspicious to her.

"Sure, Elle Simmons, THE female face of the NFL right now. Like I said, big fan of what you do" Brittany almost interrupted her and giggled out loud.

"Yeah, thanks, I appreciate that. But actually..." they didn't let Elle finish and interrupted her again.

"So you know, I own a women's soccer team and I'm totally in favor of women having more say in sports too. So if you need any support or anything, I would love to be a part of the future is female" Brittany beamed at her exaggeratedly.

"That's nice, thank you. I'll..I'll tell my manager and we'll be sure to get back to you..." Jackson opened his mouth to interrupt her again, but Elle raised her hand to silence him.

"I'm really sorry. I'd love to keep talking to you guys, but I can't stay away for long, I'm working right now after all and I should see that the players are ready for the game" she gave them both an apologetic look.

"Oh, yeah. You can go right back, just for a second" Jackson pulled his cell phone out of his jacket pocket. "I'm kinda big on TikTok and I think my followers would like it if SWAT Team Girl did my iconic dance with me. I'm sure you've seen it already and if you haven't, we'll teach it to you quick, right Brit? Don't take more than 5 minutes" Brittany nodded vigorously.

"Guys, I'm really sorry. I've been gone way too long. I'm sure my supervisor won't think it's so great" she gestured in the direction of Nick, who was eyeing the group of three with a critical look and crossed arms.

"We can take a picture if that's okay and do the dance....maybe another time?" Elle suggested.

Brittany rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Alright. We'll take pictures then" she seemed offended, which Elle just ignored.

She quickly joined the two and posed for a few photos before turning to leave. "It was nice to meet you both and Brittany, you'll hear from us soon, I promise. We really appreciate women who are involved in sports" Elle raised her hand.

"yes, yes, thank you" Brittany rolled her eyes again and turned around in a huff.

"Ugh, I hate people who think they are such a big deal" Elle groaned in annoyance as she rejoined Nick and Michael.

"Who was that?" Nick asked curiously. "Patrick Mahome's brother and his fiancée" Elle replied.

"Wait, Jackson and Brittany?" Michael asked, surprised. "You know them?" Elle asked confused.

"Of course. The two of them together probably make more headlines and drama than Mahomes himself. Jackson, for example, got noticed when he poured water over Raven fans' heads after a loss to the Ravens, or when he did one of his funny dances on a memorial to a deceased player" Michael told.

"Somehow I'm not surprised" Elle mumbled.

"And Brittany just stands out very negatively with her bitchy, loud manner very often in combination with Jackson" Michael added.

"Michael, I never would have pegged you for a gossip girl" Nick patted him on the shoulder with a grin. "But it sounds like you should better stay away from them, kiddo" Nick gave Elle a worried look.

"Yeah, the way they just acted, I wasn't planning on taking them in as my new buddies either" she replied shaking her head.

What do you think will happen between Brittany/ Jackson and Elle?

Thank you so much for 132k reads, its unbelievable how many people still read or starting to read this story. I never expected to get so many reads and likes and nice comments when I decided to post it. Appreciate every single one of you!!!