Chapter 16: Peyton

I woke up in the middle of the night struggling to catch my breath. My heart was racing, and I wasn't even sure why. The darkness of the room scared me. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face.

I didn't know what I had been dreaming about, but whatever it was must have been terrifying. I drew my knees into my chest. It was only a dream Peyton, I reminded myself. All I could remember was fire and screams and gunshots.

"Peyton?" Eli's back was towards me, but he rolled over when he noticed I was awake.

"Eli, go back to sleep. I didn't mean to wake you up," I whispered.

He grunted. "Why are you awake?"

I shook my head. "It's not important. Everything's fine. Go back to sleep. We need to be well rested for tomorrow because we'll probably lose a lot of sleep."

"Only if you'll try to sleep too."

I sighed. "I can't."

"Roll over," he instructed softly. As I did, he wrapped his arm around me, pressing his chest against my back. "If you can't sleep, then I'll just hold you. We can stay awake together." He kissed my neck gently, sending shivers down my spine. "It's going to be okay Peyton."

Blue Lake was noticeably quieter than Apopka, and not only in the aspect of noise. The camp was still encircled in a thick fence topped with barbed wire, but there were only half as many guards. I couldn't hear anything from where I was standing outside.

"Don't leave my side," Reese spoke. "I won't let anything happen to you. This one is supposedly understaffed, especially at night. There should hardly be any resistance at all." My throat was closing around my words, so all I could muster was a nod.

Since the power outage had proved less successful in Kamiah, we were executing a plan very similar to Apopka tonight. Caleb and Calli had gone in first, with Calli on a mission to find the woman and Caleb on a mission to reprogram the attendants' chips the same way Colin did. Micaiah and Eli were going in next. They were going to pull the same stunt they had in Apopka.

The only difference was that we weren't sending in any fake recruits this time. That had failed miserably the last time. And of course, we'd sent Calli in.

Micaiah's walkie-talkie buzzed from the other side of Reese. "All set," Caleb's voice crackled. "Ready for the announcement when you are. Just give the signal."

Eli squeezed my shoulder. "See you soon," he said, his lips brushing my ear. Micaiah said something to Reese before beckoning Eli to follow him. I watched as the guards threw open the gates for them, like they were just regular people.

I tried not to think about what was going to happen. Any fear that arose in my head, I attempted to drown it with thoughts and memories of the past month. It was a welcome distraction from the eeriness of the camp.

A few minutes later, the guards each took out a device simultaneously. I assumed Eli had just called the meeting. The guards logically wouldn't be attending, but everyone else would. We're getting really close. Don't panic.

Here's a piece of advice—telling yourself not to panic just makes you panic more. I swallowed the lump of fear in my throat, trying to keep my breathing steady. Reese's walkie-talkie buzzed this time. "Everyone is locked in the room. Caleb has been signaled. You can come in." Micaiah's voice was extremely relaxed. I didn't understand how he could sound so calm.

Reese took my hand. "You don't have to do much, Peyton. Just follow me." I nodded. I didn't mind her mothering me. At this point, I needed it. She turned to Alex and Skye. "Follow me. We're going in."