17

"Since when?'"

"Is that a rhetorical question?" He has been this all-knowing and I can't blame him. I kept my eyes towards the orphanage.

"You completely lost your sense of taste, did you?"

"I did." He knew it when he let me pour that much salt on my meal. "Maybe when I moved out. I don't need to eat, so I couldn't keep track of it. But you know I'm losing it like how I lost my sense of smell."

"Is there anything else you want to tell me?"

"I am still able to use my other senses. I don't think those two things are important."

"Depends. Do you still remember my name? My real name."

I furrowed my brows. I have always been calling him 'Duke'. I quickly brushed through all my blurry memories. Seeing all of those fading faces until that day when he finally introduced himself. "Hades." I answered. "Hades Alexander."

He did not say anything. But I understand what he means. The sense of smell and taste are linked with memories. I can still recall as much... for now.

"Is that all?"

"No. Your headmaster called Sicilia. The royal guards are en route to confirm the identity of this Prince." I don't need the royal guards. "However, I think he will come here seeing what we have done to his villa."

"And if that happens, he needs a good reason why I must spare his life."

He left me as there is no other way to help me but to guard. Help? Nothing can help.

I stayed sitting by the cliff, thinking about the blurry images in my head. It seems that I can't recall as much as I want. I barely remember Duke's name. To think about it, I have been using general names for a long while, perhaps, it is best to let them fade.

A familiar presence was stalking behind me. I looked over my shoulder and found a dark grey wolf with silver eyes. Those eyes... Maybe I still remember some.

"Kylo. It's been a while." I watched as he walked towards me and lay beside me. I couldn't sense Aiden, maybe he blocked the latter.

But he is just like this because of the mate bond. The wolf side feels it more than their human. Still, there is no clear line between their emotions, their thoughts.

'I can't love you.'

What does he mean? If there's anyone who knows, it is Kylo. But I don't want to ask him only to hear the same answer.

I turned towards the sky.

"One day," I started, "when the rain falls down, the memories will be washed away. One day, nothing will be left to reminisce. One day, the rain will not pour down the same way." I turned to him, who was staring at me. "When that happens, I hope you'll find someone you want to protect." Because that someone is not me.

'Rain.' I can hear his thoughts since he is in wolf form, even without forcing a mindlink. He wanted to speak to me, yet, I know that if I let him, my heart will break even more. We will just break each other. 'I'm sorry.' He continued in his mind. And I pretended that I couldn't hear. 'To hurt you is the last thing I want. But, I have no choice. By my side, you will only suffer.'

And by my side, you will suffer. Isn't it how it is supposed to be?

"To leave someone confused, doesn't it also result in suffering?" I stood up, started to walk back, leaving him behind. To wish someone not to suffer but not to explain what is what, isn't that twisted? I do understand the idea of protecting someone for the truth that you only know, but his ever changing attitude is something I'm annoyed by. I want to cast a spell that will forever cut our ties but there is nothing like that. And I hate that I still want to understand him, that there might be a good explanation why.

"Laine." Electricity coursed through my skin as I heard Aiden's voice. He has returned to his human form.

I stopped with his voice. This mate bond is a chain I couldn't get out of. I want to runaway but couldn't.

"Laine." He caught my wrist and my heart melted.

"What do you want?" My fists clenched with our proximity. Probably noticing this, he let me go.

"What I said last night, it was true." And I hate that it is. "I'm sorry... For what I did that time, I'm sorry. If I hurt you, I'm sorry. But I can't be your mate." I can hear the sadness in his voice. I faced him and it was really Aiden. "I'm sorry. I should have done this earlier. I want to talk to you every time but... you can't be my mate." He heaved a sigh.

"I," 

His stare is deep and drowning. 

"Aiden Orpheus," 

No, is he?, 

"rejects you," 

what? 

"Athena Laine Kore as my mate and Luna of SilverKnight Pack. I should've ended it sooner." And then he left.

I... I couldn't breathe. I've heard it six, now seven times, but I'm never used to it. Every piece of me cracked and I want to... to destroy.