23

"Valen." I whispered as I sat beside him, the King. I haven't uttered his name for years. There are things we wish to forget but shouldn't. People I lost or will lose, like how I let them fade from memory. Headmaster's name... It is Lucius. The same name as his grandfather, almost the same face as him. He was my mate before Valen. Maybe after all those years, I still lament over a curse that I accepted. I loved them but I couldn't anymore.

"Lady Kore, the meeting is already starting." Eros's wound is healed by Dela. If they saw him with the wound they might suspect more. That council, I must...

"You will be alright." I whispered and stood up.

"Resolve this immediately. I'll look after them." Dela stayed in the cabin with the two guards.

"Let's go." I closed my eyes immediately sensing where the meeting was held. I let my energy envelope Eros and me and as I opened my eyes, we appeared just outside the room.

Eros glanced at me to ask if I was ready. I nodded and he opened the door.

The room fell silent as we walked in, expecting the King as they saw Eros. He pulled the chair for the King and I sat there without saying a word. Everyone stared at me, a stranger who appeared out-of-nowhere. 'Who is this person?' There's the same question visible from their eyes, well, except for one. Aiden, he has the same look when we were touring at the orphanage. 'What are you doing here?' That is what he wanted to ask.

"Where is the King?"

"Our King has some matters to attend to." Eros answered.

"Matters more important than this?"

"I thought you don't want to invite him." I broke my silence. Why? Isn't that the truth?

"Who is this young lady?" Maybe it should sound flattering, but that's not respect.

"Let me introduce to you Lady Athena Kore, the guardian of werewolves."

"Wh– What?"

"The guardian?"

"I haven't heard from her in a while."

There are several more murmurs that I chose to ignore.

"Lady Athena... if I may, not to sound rude but how can you prove your identity as our guardian?" Right. I haven't appeared pretty often in public.

I took off my eyeglasses, turning to them with my golden eyes, I whispered in their mind,

'Have you forgotten or chose to forget?' I forced a mindlink letting my power loose, the omega or human farce that I have been keeping has come undone.

"So, I assume we can proceed with the meeting?" No one objected and they warily started what we have to talk about. After a few of the reports, I noticed something.

"Won't you ask about how the meeting with the vampires went?" I did not let them answer. 

"Even if you're not curious, I am. Apparently, this Southern coven is independent of the guardian's rule. Therefore, we can assume that there is another power in force." I stared at them, tension is in the air. I am pointing at them, one wrong move and they can reveal themselves.

"Even so, their guardian is still responsible for their movements." Arthur said a matter of factly.

"You're right. And in that sense, the movements of the council are also my responsibility. I heard... that you want a new King?" I paused. "Is this true?" I looked at Aiden, eye to eye, erasing my smile and showing my visible irritation. Their little disrespect has gone wild.

The surprise on his face is long gone and instead changed to... anger.

"I have no objection but..." I could almost narrow my eyes "must it be hasten?"

No one replied.

"I hope you remember, if there can be a new King, there can also be a new council." I stood up and they also did. And that is a threat.