iii.

03 | PERCY IS WAY OUT OF SHAPE

Percy and Annabeth walked through the nightly crowd of Manhattan towards their house with their children, returning from a joyful family evening together. Luke and Charlie were mindlessly walking ahead, but Percy was alarmed.

The son of Poseidon threw an arm around his wife and pulled her in for a kiss on the cheek before pulling away to whisper something in her ear with a smile on his face. "We're being followed."

Annabeth played along, but rolled her eyes as they kept walking. "Obviously, Seaweed Brain. I noticed it right after we left the restaurant. You think it's a threat?"

Percy scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. "I don't know. I'm not sensing a monster nearby so I think it's a mortal."

But why would a mortal be following them?

As far as mortals knew, they were just another normal family spending some completely normal time together. Not two demigod heroes that used to go on world-saving field trips. Nope, definitely not.

They continued their walk while cautiously surveying their surroundings. Finally after a few turns and slipping through big crowds, they managed to temporarily lose who was following them, buying them some time.

"Take the kids and get back home without being followed, and I'll distract them for a while," Percy told Annabeth.

"What's happening, dad?" Luke asked curiously as he glanced between his parents.

Percy smiled at him. "Nothing, I just forgot to do something. Go ahead with your mom, and take care of her and Charlie, alright? I'll be back soon."

Luke grinned with a play salute. "Yes, sir."

"That's my boy," Percy chuckled lightly, ruffling his hair.

Annabeth wanted to stay with him, but reluctantly nodded, knowing they had to keep their kids safe, picking Charlie up in her arms. "Just, don't get into any trouble, Seaweed Brain, okay?"

Percy grinned. "No promises, Wise Girl."

He gave her one last kiss on the cheek before the two parted ways. He watched as they quickly blended in and were soon gone, letting out a sigh of relief before walking forward through to another alleyway, keeping himself to the shadows.

The son of Poseidon soon heard voices around the corner of the alleyway he had previously been with Annabeth. He crouched behind another wall, watching the passageway as he waited for any movement.

After a few minutes, someone entered his line of vision. Percy couldn't see them clearly in the dark but it appeared to be a female. He watched her silently and carefully, trying not to be seen.

Unfortunately for him, the female might've heard his breathing because she glanced straight in his direction, her eyes slightly growing wide.

"Hey!"

She shot two blue electric blasts out of her wrist at Percy, who managed to dodge them before sprinting away, cursing under his breath. The woman ran after him, her hand reaching up to her ear as she ordered something through her comms.

Percy skilfully manoeuvred through the crowd of mortals and dashed through another corner before cutting across to another street. He soon stopped in another alleyway after a couple of minutes of running to catch his breath, panting heavily.

"I'm way out of shape," he muttered under his breath as he took another deep breath.

Percy's eyes suddenly widened, sidestepping just in time to dodge a punch from a red-haired woman, the same one that was chasing after him. Before he could do anything, she held her arms up as her gauntlets began to spark with electricity.

"Now, how about you stand down?" She ordered.

Percy raised an eyebrow. "Why are you following me?"

"You need to be brought in for questioning." Her hands were still raised at him in caution. "We could do this the easy way where you do everything as I tell you to, or the hard way."

"Look, I don't want to hurt you," Percy warned, side-eyeing the fire hydrant a few metres beside them.

"Yeah, right-"

Percy quickly shot his hand forward and before the woman could fire any blasts at him, she was swept back from a sudden wave of water slamming into her, sending her flying back.

Before he could successfully escape, an arrow lodged itself in the back of his calf, letting out a surprise yelp of pain that surged through his right leg. Percy spun around, making a protective barrier of water around him as an archer joined in the fight.

He fired a few arrows at the son of Poseidon but it proved to be useless as the water barrier shot it back at him. His attention quickly snapped upwards as a massive wave began to form above Percy, realising what was going to happen.

"Oh, shi-" The archer was cut off when Percy slammed him with the water, drenching him completely.

Tiredness suddenly began to surge through Percy's body as the water barrier around him began to waver. He soon realised that the arrow he got shot with was a tranquiliser arrow, trying his best to fight off its effects, but it was proving to be very difficult.

The red-haired woman managed to recover from the previous blast and broke through the weakened barrier, slamming right into him and landing a powerful punch at Percy's face, knocking him out cold.

The archer coughed out the remaining water and gasped for breath as he slowly stood up, grabbing his bow and placing the remaining arrows back in his quiver before making his way towards his partner.

The two drenched agents shared a glance with a nod as they stared at the unconscious demigod lying in front of them, not knowing at all what they had just gotten themselves into.