xiv.

14 | LET'S GIVE THEM HELL, SHALL WE?

Cassie watched from the countertop with a smile as her brother danced with a dark-haired female, a fond smile plastered across his face. She hadn't seen him this happy in years, and was glad to see that he was having a good time.

She scanned around the dance floor to find that Percy and Annabeth were also having a great time as well as Silena and Charles, joyfully spending time with their respective partners.

Cassie took another sip of her lemonade drink, drumming her tan fingers in a lazily manner on the countertop. She tilted her head slightly to the side when someone took a seat next to her.

A man with dark hair and sapphire blue eyes, dressed in a tuxedo suit took the seat, a full crystal champagne flute in hand which he took a sip of before resting it on the table. She also noticed the metallic glint of his left hand that he seemed to hide by placing that hand in his pocket away from everyone's view.

He turned his head towards her, sending her a courteous smile. "Enjoying the party?"

"Absolutely," Cassie replied impassively, glaring at Tony who tried to interact with Percy.

"Looks like we have something in common when it comes to Stark," he stated with a smirk upon noticing her steely gaze towards the billionaire while she turned to him, a slight glint of curiosity in her eyes.

"I'm Bucky Barnes," he introduced with a soft smile.

Cassie nodded her head shortly in acknowledgement. "Cassie Hunter."

"Nice to meet you, Miss Hunter," Bucky stated warmly.

"I'm guessing you're also part of the avenging team?" She asked.

"Yes." He nodded before mumbling to himself. "Unfortunately."

Cassie smiled, taking another sip of her lemonade.

"And you're one of the famous twins that have caught all the heroes' attention, I believe?" He asked curiously.

Cassie merely smirked at Bucky in response, enjoying her cool drink when her eyebrows suddenly furrowed, her senses beginning to buzz crazily as she grew alarmed.

A howl suddenly rippled through the air, causing all the demigods to halt in their tracks. They all were the only ones that had seemed to hear it. Cassie stood up abruptly, ignoring Bucky's confused look and manoeuvred her way through the mortals.

Thor and Lia were also the only ones that heard it amongst all the Avengers, growing alarmed. Another ear-piercing scream echoed through the air, yet this time all the cheers of the mortals died instantly, having also heard it.

Cassie and Elias swore under their breath in Ancient Greek. Perched on the edge of the open second floor just above Percy and Annabeth was a hellhound the size of a rhino, with lava-red eyes and fangs like daggers.

The monster growled, its eyes trained on both Percy and Annabeth. Everyone seemed to be frozen in place in horror, except for the two themselves, who reached to summon their weapons.

The hellhound propelled itself at the raven-haired demigod in a blur.

It would've bit Percy in half if a sword wasn't sticking through its abdomen. The monster let out a howl of agony as it burst into flames. In its spot stood the older Hunter instead, her blade shimmering in her hand.

Another howl rippled through the air, and that's when all chaos broke loose.

"Dammit," Percy hissed, Riptide now clasped firmly in his hand as he ushered all the mortals to safety. "Everybody quickly get out! This way!"

The demigods quickly rounded up, their respective weapons in their hands.

"We four will take care of the hellhounds. They're mainly after us," Cassie stated, gesturing amongst herself, her brothers and Annabeth.

Percy quickly spun around and stabbed through another monster that tried to pounce at him, disintegrating it into golden dust immediately. Mortals shoved past them hurriedly in sheer terror.

Annabeth turned to Charles and Silena. "Get the mortals out of here. The Mist has weakened severely. We have no idea what might happen if they gain the monsters' attention."

"Just be careful," Silena told them, the four nodding in response, before she and Charles disappeared, the daughter of Aphrodite using her charmspeak to guide the mortals out with the son of Hephaestus aiding her.

"Let's give them hell, shall we?" Elias smirked, with Percy, Annabeth and Cassie mirroring his dangerous grin before engaging once again with the monstrous creatures, splitting up.

"Hey ugly!"

The hellhound in front of Percy turned towards him, its attention now on the demigod in front of him.

"It's me you want, right?" Percy raised his arms in a taunting manner. "So come and get me."

The hellhound let out a growl before pouncing at the son of Poseidon, who rolled out of the way to escape the monster's deadly claws, which had now made huge scratch marks on the ground where he stood seconds ago.

Percy sprinted through the ballroom, drawing it away from the mortals before turning a tight corner around one of the pillars, waiting for the perfect moment to strike the hellhound as it cautiously made its way forward, scanning around for him.

A shield flew straight at the monster, but it went right through it, much to the owner of the shield's surprise. The hellhound's attention snapped at Steve, its lava-red eyes glaring at the blonde hero.

Percy's eyes widened as the hellhound began to charge at Steve, taking this chance and lunged forward in a blink of an eye, thrusting his sword in the monster, who let out a howl of agony before exploding into a pile of golden dust.

"You alright?" Percy asked, Riptide gleaming in his hand.

"Yeah," Steve breathed out. What are they?"

"Hellhounds," Percy replied, a serious glint in his eyes which Steve realised from the amount of time of knowing him, was very rare. "Mortals shouldn't be able to see them since the Mist covers it up but the Mist has severely weakened."

Steve's head was throbbing with all this new knowledge. "Why did my shield pass through it like nothing?"

"None of the mortal weapons will harm them," Percy replied while Steve glanced at his sword.

"My sword is made out of a special steel as well as all the other demigods which is why we're the only ones that can kill them. Tell your team to leave the monsters to us, you guys focus on getting the civilians out of danger," Percy ordered.

"Alright." Steve nodded, placing his shield behind his back.

And with that, the two ran back into the chaos.