x.

10 | SOMETHING BIG IS COMING

Percy, Elias and Annabeth were all seated in the living room, a cup of freshly made coffee in their hands as they conversed lightly on a quiet Saturday morning while Luke and Charlie had gone to the Beckendorfs for a playdate.

"Hey," Cassie greeted the three as she took a seat beside Percy on the couch.

"You really shouldn't be walking around," Percy scolded her softly, attempting to sound casual even though there was a worried undertone.

Cassie just shrugged it off. "I'll be fine, it's just sore now, but I'll live."

But the three didn't miss the way Cassie winced as she leaned back on the couch.

"Besides, it's not the first time I've broken a few ribs," she added, trying to reassure them.

The three shot her a glare. 

"Yeah, it's not like you build up an immunity to broken ribs," Annabeth remarked sarcastically.

Cassie shot her hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay, jeez."

A matching grin formed on the three siblings while the daughter of Athena just rolled her eyes.

"On a more serious note, now that Cassie's here, there's something that you two should know," Elias said as he shared a glance with Cassie, who nodded.

"We've got a bigger problem in our hands," Cassie added tiredly.

Annabeth raised her eyebrows as she took another sip of her drink. "What is it?"

"The Mist is failing," Elias stated.

Both Annabeth and Percy's eyes widened. "But how ...?!"

Cassie's eyes darkened. "The stupid Norse. They've broadened the mortals' minds, and now they are beginning to accept the presence of the supernatural. It's slowly tearing the Mist apart. Soon the camps and Olympus could be revealed. That's why the mortals were able to see you using your powers."

Percy and Annabeth could see the exhaustion in the twins' eyes when they spoke. All they wanted was a break from it all, and this new information wasn't making it easier for anyone.

"Something big is coming," Elias said ominously. "Something that no one may be ready for."

Tense silence loomed over the four demigods as the rising danger all sunk in.

Far below, in the darkest parts of the Underworld, Tartarus, one of the oldest primordials in the world, was preparing for war. He had truly been preparing for the past two millennia.

But the defeat of the Titans, the Giants, and Gaea, as well as the escape of those two puny demigods from him years ago, had caused him to accelerate his plans, especially after his deal with Samael, the Prince of Demons himself.

Monsters were now regenerating faster than ever as well as the demons, training and preparing to be unleashed in the mortal world, and he was personally supervising them as they pushed against the boundaries he had set.

However, Tartarus had to be careful. He was still only allowing the barest trickle of monsters to pass into the physical world.

The calm before the storm.

The demigods had no idea what was coming for them.

And the first ones to feel his wrath would be those spawns of Poseidon and Athena.

Besides, the timing had never been more perfect. With the arrival of the Norse gods, if they could even be called gods in Tartarus' opinion, had opened the eyes of billions of mortals around the Earth, severely weakening the Mist.

So now, when he opened the floodgates and allowed his monsters to pour out of the pit, it would completely shred the veil over the eyes of mortals, forcing demigods into the spotlight and turning them against them.

Whispers had reached even Tartarus about the events that day, the first conflict between mortals and gods in centuries. The entire earth had felt the shudders in the Mist when it occurred.

Tartarus knew that to use this to his full advantage, he had to be patient, and allow the mortals' fear of the unknown to grow, before he began his attack.

Now all he was waiting for was the perfect moment to strike.

The Primordial closed his eyes, imagining the carnage that would follow, a dangerous smirk forming on his face as he awaited the right time.