Chapter 17

Abayomi can't help but drift close to the walls whenever someone passes them, but Anippe seems to be unable to let her, constantly pulling Abayomi back into the light again by her wrist.

"You need to act like you belong here."

"But I don't."

"They won't know that unless you act like you are now. By the gods, Abayomi, you look like me. They'll likely think you're part of the family, unless they truly stop to think."

Abayomi frowns, chewing on her lip. "You're sure it's alright?"

Anippe laughs, the sound a bit sharp. "Am I sure if it's okay for you to pretend to be part of my family?" Abayomi flushes. "Yes, I'm sure. Now cease your fretting."

With her new friend's reassurance, Abayomi can feel the tension in her shoulders and spine ease. She's more comfortable now as she follows Anippe, solidly positioned at her side. They pass a few people while they walk to wherever the temple is, but they all ignore them, just as Anippe said.

Well, they don't ignore the two girls exactly, Anippe is the Pharoah's granddaughter, after all. But beyond the moments in which they show their respect to the princess and her companion, they don't pay much attention to what the girls are doing or where they are going. Anippe grins at her.

"See, I told you it would be fine!"

Abayomi smiles back at her, momentarily looking away from the bath before them as they round the corner. Only Anippe's sudden grip on her arm keeps Abayomi from walking right into someone. She looks up reflexively, her posture stiffening at the sight of the guard standing in their path. He inclines his head at the two girls.

"My lady." He pauses and adds, "Ladies."

Anippe blinks at him. "Imenand. Would you care to step aside?"

He quickly moves to do so. "Of course." He pauses again. "If I may be so bold, why do you cover your head so, my lady?"

Abayomi smiles carefully, trying to give off an air of confidence. "Because I wish to."

Anippe adds, "Does she need any reason?"

He hurriedly responds, flushing slightly. "Oh of course not. Apologies, my lady."

Abayomi can't help but laugh as he tries to correct his fumble, and Anippe smiles. "Aren't you part of my uncle's personal guard, Imenand? You were just promoted, isn't that right?"

He blinks in shock. "Yes, my lady. That is correct."

"Ah, I thought so. Did he send you for something? I don't believe he is nearby, as we were just in the courtyard and Amenhotep didn't come this way."

Abayomi blinks to hide her surprise. The young man Anippe had been speaking with was Amenhotep IV? He is Akhenaten?

Imenand nods. "Yes, my lady. Prince Amenhotep saw a falcon fly from near your quarters and believing it was a sign, he asked for me to check in on you. He was perhaps a touch worried, my lady."

Anippe gives him a soft smile. "You may tell my uncle that he has nothing to fear in the realm of my safety, Imenand. We are only going to speak with Kahotep at the temple, and then we will return."

Imenand bows to them both. "Yes, my lady."

"Wonderful."

Imenand steps closer to the wall and the two girls continue onward. Abayomi can feel his eyes on her as they pass, and she tries not to reach up to tighten her hijab, feeling self-conscious. He doesn't mean anything by it, really. She's sure he's just trying to do a good job. Once they're out of earshot, she turns to Anippe.

"Who is he, exactly?"

"One of the palace guards. He's been working here for a few years, and last month he was promoted to my uncle's personal guard, and he's still settling into that a bit. He may seem a bit awkward, but he's very confident and he'll stumble over himself a bit less after a few months of service."

Abayomi nods, and then moves to another subject that had been resting at the surface of her mind. "Are you close to your uncle?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"I was curious. You were talking to him in the courtyard, right?"

"I-yes. How did- Ah, the window. Yes, I was speaking with him."

"He looked like he adores you."

Anippe shrugs. "Amenhotep was always closest with my mother, of all his siblings. When she died just after I was born, he told her he would look after me. Or so I was told. Over the years, he's given me some things of hers."

"What kind of things?"

Anippe frowns. "A few small instruments - that's actually what pushed me to start playing music - some jewelry, and other trinkets. One of the first things I can remember is a pendant of hers that he had given my mother about a year before she died. He commissioned it and everything when he was barely more than a toddler. He gave it to me, and it is one of my dearest possessions."

"I'm glad you had someone to look after you that could tell you stories of her."

Anippe smiles sadly. "I am as well." She shakes her head. "We should be almost to the temple now, just a few minutes more."

Abayomi blinks at the sudden subject change, but doesn't say anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you think? What is your opinion on Imenand? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out